1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Wip...Wharnie hunter from Nicholson 1095 file

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by sc_bane, Mar 3, 2014.

1. sc_bane

sc_bane

May 23, 2013
    Started a Wharnie hunter from a Nicholson file. Research indicated it was most likely 1095 (fingers crossed). I annealed the file on the bottom of our woodstove and let it cool overnight in the embers. Very little warping, softened it right up.

Bevel guide marks and rough filework started right side, ten minutes in.
    [​IMG]

Draw filing takes forever. 25 minutes in.
    [​IMG]

Re-applying sharpie. My process is as soon as the Sharpie is gone, I check the angle and re-apply it.
    [​IMG]

More Sharpie, draw filing from front, tip roughed out, will grind it to final shape later.
    [​IMG]

Final rough shaping done right side and tip. ready for 120 sandpaper.
    [​IMG]

Deciding if I'm going to sand tonight.....
    [​IMG]

You can see how even careful draw filing leaves slightly uneven bevels. This is why I switch to sandpaper superglued to paint sticks and a block.
    [​IMG]

That's it for now. Will post updates on the sanding as it occurs, probably later today. Cheers, mates.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    No pictures showing?

3. sc_bane

sc_bane

May 23, 2013
    Well...CRAP!!! I'm using photobucket. It says down below that I may do everything but post attachments. Help?

4. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    So, with Photobucket, make sure that you're in there looking at the pic you want to use, full size, then right click it and pick "copy image location."
    Then, come back here to your thread, and where you want your image, put these.

paste the link you copied from Photobucket between the tags. Make sure there are no spaces. Preview post, you should see your image.

Another way would be to copy the "direct" link from the right of your Photobucket image, then paste here in between img tags. Or, you can use the thread tool "insert image" and paste your link in there, but you'll see all that does is put your link automatically in between img tags as you could have done more quickly all by yourself.

I just tested an image of mine from Photobucket to make sure it works just as I've told you.

5. sc_bane

sc_bane

May 23, 2013
    Thanks Salem. You seem to be somewhat of a voodoo guru....

6. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    That looks like a lot of work!

It sure shows you something about how heat changes steel, filing on a file like that!

Voodoo guru. Hmmm, I like that. Although it reminds me of Tai Goo, which is both good and bad...

7. sc_bane

sc_bane

May 23, 2013
    It is some work. I love making a knife completely by hand. My next WIP will be my 1080+ process. I have two hours into the file Wharnie so far.

Making a 1080+ with a 4" drop point takes about 6 hours actual hand work. Totally worth it though. Feel more attached, invested in a completely hand-made than I do a blank or machine-ground.

8. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    try a chain saw file to to get a nice, round ricassoline.
    Looks like a lot of work. DonĀ“t leave the edge to thick