Wishing for more Stainless Civivis

Discussion in 'We Knife' started by Chronovore, May 11, 2020.

1. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Hi. I've been a big fan of Civivi. The Naja was my most frequently carried casual knife last year. I've enjoyed my Ebony Baklash. So far this year, I've had a Chronic in my pocket more than any other knife. I think it's safe to say that Civivi has become the gold standard for budget knives.

As we all know, the world of budget knives has been overrun by D2. Everyone from Bestech to Kubey to Artisan's recent budget line have been flooding the market with it. Whenever we see a new budget knife released, D2 has become a safe bet for the steel. While that's been a welcome departure from steels like 8Cr13Mov on the low end, not everybody loves it. For various reasons, some of us want more corrosion resistance. If for no other reason, some of us just have enough D2 now and are getting tired of it.

Civivi has proven that 9Cr18Mov can be a good EDC steel when done properly. There is still a lot of love for 14C28N. VG-10 continues to be a well-respected stainless steel. (I had wondered if the higher price on Civivi's initial VG-10 knives had been a barrier to sales. However, we've seen D2 Civivis at similar or higher prices now.) Kizer has been offering competitively priced knives in N690 and that's got my attention.

So I'm here to ask something that I've seen expressed elsewhere on Blade Forums and throughout the larger EDC community. Can we please get some more stainless options from Civivi?

2. WE Knife Media

WE Knife Media Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Hi, Chronovore:

We would want to offer more options to our fans in both high carbon steel and stainless steel. In the 5 years (now the 6th) of WE Knife has been on the market, we are constantly collecting data to find the steel with the most effective combination of ease of use and ease of maintenance.

We will definitely keep our eyes open for more steel types that can be offered. Please do feel free to suggest any steel that you would like to see as well, and we'll put those in our potential option list as well.

Thank you.

Chronovore likes this.
  3. Chronovore

Aug 29, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. I've been happy with my Civivi knives in 9Cr18Mov. I'd like to see more budget models offered in 9Cr18Mov. I'd like to see new Civivi models offered in VG-10 or N690. I'd love to see stainless versions of existing D2 models like the Incite, Governor, or Elementum offered in VG-10 or N690.

4. nutsforknives

nutsforknives

May 1, 2010
    Man, I'd love it if Civivi sent some steel to knifesteelnerds.com to be tested. I wonder how it really stacks up against vg-10 or other mid-tier stainless steels. I have been skeptical and avoided it after having bad experiences with 8Cr13MoV but I keep seeing people saying its good. I am surprised that people like it more than D2, which I consider basically stainless. You have to really abuse D2 to get it to stain, most D2 knives won't even really take a patina.

5. Chronovore

Aug 29, 2019
    A lot of people look down on 9Cr18Mov unfairly. I know because I used to be one of them. Some of it is the association with 8Cr13Mov or lesser steels like 5Cr15, 3Cr13, etc. 9Cr18Mov has enough carbon for better edge retention and plenty of chromium for better corrosion resistance. That leads to the other problem. Companies like Schrade have used 9Cr18Mov in cheap knives where it gets a cheap heat treatment. The end result can be pretty sad. My experience with those knives had caused me to write off 9Cr18Mov for years. It wasn't until I got my first Civivi that I realized how good it could be.

Since then, I've had three knives in 9Cr18Mov from Civivi and one from Real Steel. It's become my most-carried EDC steel. I understand the surprise. Both 9Cr18Mov and D2 seem highly dependent on heat treatment. So the comparison here is 9Cr18Mov with an apparently excellent heat treatment versus Chinese D2 with an okay heat treatment. That's been the controversy with Chinese D2, regardless of whether we're talking about Civivi, Bestech, Artisan, etc. A lot of the hype around D2 is based on more expensive American knives from companies like Benchmade. So there can be a disconnect. In my experiences, Chinese D2 from reputable companies has been okay. However, edge retention isn't enough better than 14C28N or properly treated 9Cr18Mov that I'm happy trading the corrosion resistance. If I'm going to pay more anyway, I'd rather just make the jump to better stainless like VG-10 or N690.

Yes, D2 is somewhat stainless. I've never had it rust on me but I tend to take care of my knives. There are also occasions when I leave my D2 knives at home. This will be a bigger deal for people living or working in humid environments or doing particular types of cutting tasks. Personally, I like the security of a nice safe hedge between me and rust.

6. nutsforknives

nutsforknives

May 1, 2010
    I'd love to see CTS-BD1N, VG-10, 154CM, 14C28N. Basically I'd love to see some very good ingot steels in the Civivi knives and PM steels in We branded knives.

Lee D and Chronovore like this.