1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Wood box for knife

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Matt Rochester, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Matt Rochester

Matt Rochester

Nov 28, 2014
    I know it’s been asked before but where are y’all getting your boxes from? I’ve seen some nice wooden boxes but can’t seem to source any. I can make them but would like to find somewhere that has a variety of sizes. Slide top would be nice. Maybe cigar boxes? Jewelry boxes?

Edit: I need them mainly for kitchen knives ranging from 10-14” long and 2” tall.

2. ron_m80

ron_m80 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 1, 2009
    Those blades won't fit in a cigar box. There have been discussion on sources for boxes other than wood, mainly cardboard, or tubes IIRC.

Mark, at It's a Burl sells wood for this as "Saya Box" sets. (these are california redwood, and curly maple at 12.5" long, and about 1/4" or thicker.)

IMG_0172.JPG

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Matt Rochester likes this.
  3. KNelson

KNelson

Jan 9, 2019
    Other than making them I couldn't source any either, so I ended up buying cardboard boxes and kaizen foam. Not the prettiest but it works and keeps the knife from banging around and gives a storage use also.
    [​IMG]

Matt Rochester likes this.