1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Wood knife prototype

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by gopherslingshots, Mar 19, 2016.

1. gopherslingshots

gopherslingshots

Aug 27, 2015
    I'm working on a new (for me) knife design and thought I'd try a prototype first. Since I came from a woodworking background before I got into knives it only takes a few minutes to do this and gives me a real thing to hold, I'll be doing this more often! Let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Good shape and good idea.

3. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    If this is my project , I would change only the line of grind .

[​IMG]

4. gopherslingshots

gopherslingshots

Aug 27, 2015
    I like the look of that natlek, but i only have a gough jig for "grinding".

5. gopherslingshots

gopherslingshots

Aug 27, 2015
    I like the wood prototype more and more. I "cut" stuff all day yesterday and got feedback from others. I think I need to go just a tad longer on the handle. Oh and with 6 and 8 year old boys these prototypes won't go to waste!

6. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    With a little practice it can be done . The most important thing is the position of the blades on jig . This small knife I make for my daughter . I grinding with file on jig .

[​IMG]

7. gopherslingshots

gopherslingshots

Aug 27, 2015
    Interesting, so do you just use the eye bolt for angle adjustment but free hand the plunge, not using a stop bolt?

8. tim37a

tim37a

May 18, 2010
    I like the look of that design but I wonder if the forefinger can slide forward and be cut by the back end of the blade.

9. Rhinoknives1

Rhinoknives1 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 1, 2013
    I would do a FFG on that design, it looks comfy in the hand & should be a real slicer, not a pry bar. You are doing well testing your concepts. Stay safe & have fun

10. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Here we go .............I think it is clear in the pictures how to grind . I made a small blank, just to show you .Steel is / 2.8mm thick / front suspension torsion spring from old Volkswagen Beetle :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It will be my first slipjoint knive ...........with one side bevel

[​IMG]

And I would suggest you another tool for your file jig , to use sandpaper .This way , you can bring grind to finis .........
    [​IMG]

PS . file jig mount in a vise give me a lot of room for maneuver in any direction ................

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  11. The Gopher

The Gopher

Mar 4, 2011
    I handed the prototype around to family and friends and most of them agreed that the handle could be just a bit longer. Here is the new prototype along with the original, a bit longer blade too. Time to move this design to steel!

[​IMG]

12. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    what's the dimensions of everything? looks good man.

13. Park Swan

Park Swan

Mar 15, 2016
    I agree with Natlek about moving the grind line more parallel to where the handle ends, the totally squared off grind makes it look like a kit knife shape to me. One other tiny detail that's really bothering me about the prototype so far is the pin at the back of the knife - it should be centered on the axis of the handle to look proportional IMO. Great work so far!

14. DEllis

DEllis Part Time Steel Basher

Oct 17, 2007
    A bit more curve to the top corner of the plunge would be good, but end it ahead of the ricasso area(like your first picture) to keep your finger protected from the edge IMHO

Darcy:)

15. Teppojutsu

Teppojutsu

Jan 18, 2015
    This
    Plus this

16. Teppojutsu

Teppojutsu

Jan 18, 2015
    Add these 2 together and you got a winner
    Square straight lines have their place but I agree it looks like a kit blade .

Also agree with the pin needs to be centered.

17. The Gopher

The Gopher

Mar 4, 2011
    You guys have a good eye! I thought the pin was more centered than it was and it wasn't far off, but it sure makes a difference in the looks after seeing the centered version, thank you!

[​IMG]