1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Woods for 'hawk hafts

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Cpl Punishment, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    What are acceptable woods for use in 'hawk hafts?

I know Hickory, but I've seen Maple and Osage used.

Is Ironwood or Blackthorn usable or too brittle?

2. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004

A good friend of mine makes bows from ironwood when he can get very straight grain. He also uses Osage.
    Ash works well, I've been throwing a hawk I made with a very thin Ash haft, it's hanging in very well.
    Regards

Robin

3. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    i believe the scottish cudgels were blackthorn, although i may be wrong. it was an impact weapon so i would imagine it would make a decent hawk haft. ive never handled any though.

4. John M Cohea

John M Cohea

Oct 24, 2007
    For strenghth, ash, osage, hickory. For both strength AND beauty, curly maple and curly walnut.

5. PayetteRucker

PayetteRucker

Aug 4, 2009
    I've had maple shatter on me before... it was in cold weather, about 30 degrees, but it was still disappointing. I would like to see Paduak compared with walnut. Beech is often used for military rifle stocks, as a cheaper alternative to walnut. It may also be a good material for a haft.

6. Cpl Punishment

Cpl Punishment

Jan 28, 2006
    The Irish shilelagh was blackthorn.

7. jnanson

jnanson

Feb 2, 2007
    If you can find Black thorn let us know where. I know you can't import live black thorn into the us. I've been looking for a nice long BT stick for hiking but I want a knob on the end also.

8. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    i got an osage billet to make a bow that probably isnt going to work. i plan on using it for hawk and hammer handles now. ill let you know how they go.