work sharp goodness

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by Bladite, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Idaho Guy

Idaho Guy

May 22, 2011
    No fair!!! your sig BK2 is cooler than mine ;)

2. CCMI

CCMI

Aug 4, 2010
    So will this sharpener convex the blade by default since the belt will have some give?

I can see how it would be easy to re-profile to a convex edge, especially compared the mousepad method (just tried this with my BK2, couldn't get the hang of it).

But can you sharpen a V edge using the belts?

3. dcbowtecher

dcbowtecher

Jan 21, 2010
    For me, I think that I agree with Ethan. And for now, the jury is still out. Interesting concept and if pressed for time, it appears to be a good thing. I will probably go ahead and get one anyway, but there is just something soothing about taking the time to hand convex a knife. When I see the closeups of the sharpened blades, they appear to not really look like a true convex edge. I looked at the edge that on my BK2 and the video shot of WS blades and they don't even seem close in comparison. If this unit can give that 'True Convex', I have no problem with purchasing it. BTW, what about the replacement belts. Where to buy and the cost factor. I already have a belt sander, Norton India stone, Japanese Water stones, Fallkniven DC4, leather backed strops, etc. Well, actually it's overkill, but it's not easy being a contented KNIFENUT! ..... and to think that this madness all started with my first BK2!

4. JWL

JWL

Jul 20, 2010
    I've been working with my work sharp for a few months now. First thing I learned: if you arent' very careful it will dull the point of the blade, to say the least. As in, grind it away and round it off completely. I finally figured out this is due to the belts being flexible (and small); if they shift as you pull the blade across it will eat the point.

To get around this, I stopped using the included guides, and just freehand it now. With some practice it works, and I can grind back a sharp point on my knives. Just did my BK2 today and it came out awesome, nice point and still shaving sharp.

If I had it to do over again, I'd most likely just get a normal belt sander and the appropriate belts to do sharpening.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  5. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    i rounded a knife over on purpose, and kinda like it that way - a kitchen knife. it was a little too stabby :>

now, i'm curious how to make a knife pointy on purpose. the grindering with a flexy belt doesn't seem to make sense to my brain.

it's a good tool system. seems to work, and if you don't use the more aggressive belt after you get the profile you want, the finest belt is just lovely to keep a beauty edge for carving molecules :)

6. RWT

RWT

Mar 15, 2011
    Bladite - Are you using it freehand or with the guides? I have one and it has been great for everything but my bk14. I can't get it to sharpen no matter what I do. Amazingly it turned my SY regulator into a slicing machine.

7. iahunter3

iahunter3

Mar 2, 2011
    I've been trying my new Worksharp also. Haven't gotten the hang of it yet, rounded the point of a couple of blades already. I have been using the guides. I can usually get shaving sharp on a stone and steel. Next will be free hand I think, just need time.

8. spider991

spider991

Oct 10, 2011
    Ok now I gotta get one of these, I am not very proficient with a stone yet. Mediocre at best. This may be the answer. Thanks Bladite.