Recommendation? working in France - belt grinder

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by HSC ///, Aug 27, 2020.

1. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    If he has a freak drive on it then that most likely would not be an issue.

2. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Building it together needing an extra screw or needing to replace one, forgetting you allan keys and not being able to get the right size etc.
    The rest of the world uses the metric system, you'll run in to problems.

3. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    It's a Hardcore grinder, their grinders are used worldwide. They use an integral Baldor/VFD...I called them and they said there are 2 switches or jumpers to move for use in Europe. I was going take the grinder to them and let them show me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEP5etmjV8P/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

AVigil likes this.
  4. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    Thought I would follow up with you guys and close this out. I’m here near Paris for the last week and prior to that I was in London for 6 days.

so today I executed an order for a lions process grinder which is made in France.
    This Grinder is used by several French makers and I believe Sam lurquin is one of them and possibly Raphael Durand

I found out the French word for a belt grinder is “backstand”

I looked at several options including Grinders from Portugal, Bulgaria and Poland, as well as bringing in from the US

you can see lions process on Instagram and Facebook. I’m getting with a flat platen and 8 inch contact wheel with 2 hp variable speed and reverse and ability to add on a surface grinder option later

I’ve got 16 kitchen blades that I previously heat treated in arizona that I brought with me, mostly z wear, a couple in AEBL and two in A2, And three forged laminated steel blades. I brought about 60 pounds of handtools, small tools and handle material etc

I think it’s gonna be two weeks before I get the grinder shipped to me

I’m staying here and working out of the garage when the grinder comes but in the meantime you’ll find me at cafés and brasseries

Harbeer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  5. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    Thats a good basic set up. Coffee looks good too.

6. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    So we get 2 pictures that’s it? You drag us through this emotional roller coaster and expect 2 pictures will make us happy. You know us we need more pictures then that LOL.

Busto, DustinY and Brock Cutlery like this.
  7. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    And of course picture of his French girlfriend :)

Hengelo_77, DustinY and 12345678910 like this.
  8. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    But you can check out my Instagram stories where I post regularly including today...

Here’s some dessert for you
    [​IMG]

Some lamb

[​IMG]

Octopus

[​IMG]

This is in London after having tea with michelin star Chef Atul Kochar who has two of my knives.

[​IMG]

Chef Toumy in Paris on the right has two of my knives

[​IMG]

seanj, WValtakis and Natlek like this.
  9. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    She’s a known actress in France so sorry I can’t do that .... but this is the best I can do for you

[​IMG]

seanj, DustinY, WValtakis and 2 others like this.
  10. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    are you using 50x2000 size for your belts?
    could you email me please? have a question about Truhlarime.cz
    [email protected]

11. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    Email sent

12. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    And the grinder arrives

a Lions Process grinder, capable of 72” and 2000 mm belts with the contact wheel. There’s also a flat platen and work rest.

this is a grinder that was overwhelmingly recommended to me by a couple of makers

apparently I’m his first usa customer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Very cool, so are you just gonna leave it there when you come back to the states?

Looks sturdy and like it will work well as long as the motor & drive wheel are lined up properly.

14. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    Yes exactly. So when I come back out here I can stay longer and work a little as I want to

everything lined up good on the grinder.

15. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    Is there a particular reason you went with this instead of the Claryx? From what I can see they both start at 1740-1750 euros, but with Claryx you get horizontal mode. Or am I missing something?

16. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    No particular reason, at some point one has to be chosen. The lions process was recommended to me by a couple of French makers. There was more personalized communication with the lions process. It was more local to me here in France.
    So I felt comfortable with it.

17. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    I see :thumbsup:

18. FredyCro

FredyCro

Jan 11, 2019
    Both this and claryx look top notch. Are motor and VFD a French make?

19. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    Motor is made in Turkey. Elk motor. VFD appears to be French. Machtric automation.

The grinder is heavy and stable

20. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    If you want to write back here, or shoot me an email, when you have been using it a while I'd be greatful.