1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

working with A-2

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by dougmo01, Mar 11, 2016.

1. dougmo01

dougmo01

Mar 11, 2016
    Hi all, fairly new to the craft and have made a few serviceable knives from mystery steels.
    i have a large chunk of A2 that from a die and was curious about how to work it.
    Its definitely hardened, a file wont hardly touch it and am curious if it will soften some after forging
    thanks,
    dougmo01

2. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    Get some A-2 bar stock in dimensions appropriate for making a knife. It will already be annealed and ready to work.

3. dougmo01

dougmo01

Mar 11, 2016
    thing is i like re purposing metal plus this was free.... so any advice would be great

4. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    Any pictures or dimensions? What kinds of tools or machines do you have at your disposal? Do you have a forge, heat treat oven, power hammer or metal bandsaw?

5. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    double

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  6. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    According to one of my Tool Steel books: anneal A2 @ 1550-1600F, slowly cool @ ~ 30-40F/hour to 1000F after which faster cooling rate can be tolerated. A2 can be isothermally annealed by cooling to 1400F and holding for 4-6 hours then air cooling.
    To minimize warpage on hardening, a stress relief anneal at 1200-1300F may be done before final finish machining.

7. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    What you have now is tempered martensite. What you want is spheroidized annealed. way to do it is heat at 1200 F for 2 hours if you don't have thick material .Othrwise add more time.