Worst thing that happened to a good knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by EdgeKit, Feb 17, 2010.

1. scarysharp

scarysharp

Mar 4, 2008
    A friend of mine was just dying to handle my Barkie E.L.K and was explaining to ME how it was a Loveless style knife. When I walked away to take a leak he plunged it into a mesquite tree and couldn't get it out. So he wiggled it a little according to him and then it came out.
    Oh yeah....the tip got to stay in that tree down in Texas :(
    Now my favorite barkie is tipless

2. nemesis27

nemesis27

Jan 22, 2008
    The first "pricey" folder purchase was an Emerson CQC 15. it came while I was at Home Depot getting some more concrete glue. I told my father in law that I was expecting UPS to drop off the knife and to watch for it. He was installing a sprinkler system within a river rocked bed. Anyhow, he got the knife, decided he needed a sharper knife to cut the piping so he opened up my box and was using that to press cut the piping on a red brick. Apparently he rocked the blade on the edge of the brick to cut that last little piece. After doing probably 15 or so cuts like this while I was gone, it was not a pretty sight when I got home. The edge was dented like crazy -everywhere, completely scratched the coating to the metal over the entire blade. Blunted the tip from sticking it into the ground hitting the rocks below etc. I hadn't even seen it yet. I was livid!! But held my tounge -most of it. There was nothing I could do about it as they dont warranty that type of use/situation which is understandable.

To make it worse I didnt know how to sharpen well then, so after trying to fix it myself, I pretty much destroyed it on my grinder -yes a grinder of all things. Lesson learned.

I have the handle though and thought about making a new blade for it now that I have the right equipment, steel and practice.

3. orca8589

orca8589

Jan 27, 2007
    I decided to cut the branches off a christmas tree one year, so's I could fit it in the dumpster. I used an old antique Russell butcher knife, and took three large chips out of the blade before I realized what I was doing. My first hard lesson in knife steels.

My wife was PO'd for weeks, and still gets mad thinking about it. I don't blame her.

thx - cpr

4. tradja

tradja

Feb 10, 2006
    Not catastrophic compared to some of these stories, but here are my two:

Boy Scouts, 20 years ago: Kid asks to borrow my Bucklite III (I was of modest means growing up, and treasured this knife). When I remind him later to return it to me, I get it missing about 5/8" of the blade. I call him on it and he shrugs. I later ask his dad to replace it and his Dad suggests that I regrind it. I note to his dad that not only do I not hav a grinder, but that regrinding the edge to the spine will make a hook-like tip that will stick out when closed. His dad shrugs.

Backcountry skiing, two winters ago: Me and a friend (older gentleman) are on top of a volcanic butte with our skis. He notices that his bindings are loose. Asks me if I have a knife. Without thinking, I hand over my beater Gerber Gator. He starts to use the knife to screw the binding back into his skis. :eek: Before the tip snaps, I get him to stop and offer him the big flathead on my SAK instead.

:thumbup: Indeed.

5. Thalestin

Thalestin

Jul 20, 2006
    Horrible. I would pretty much ask for a divorce to get away from a guy like that. Either that or id take that emerson and check how well it penetrated human skull. At least you could see how effective it was tactically heh.

JK of course, but man I would ask him to buy me a new one for sure

6. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    I wonder how many people here got that?;)

7. cj65

cj65 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Any that I misplaced, I found. I am lucky to not have lost any as of yet. I hope I can keep that up.

8. trix2004

trix2004 Banned BANNED

Sep 28, 2008
    my wife puts kitchen Damascus with hard wood handle in the sink one almost dead two more to go , hearts as hell but she just doesnt get it .:mad:

9. Kenny H.

Kenny H.

May 24, 2009
    I had a Kabar next generation knife snap at the tang.

10. fujita yuji

fujita yuji

Jul 12, 2008
    The worst thing happened to my knife is that I've lost my first home made blade in the woods.
    It was a 8" overall/3" blade fixed blade of M2 steel.
    Shame I lost it.

11. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    My wife used a brand new Forschner boning knife to edge the grass by the sidewalk. Glad she couldn't find the Sebenza or the Stamascus 943Ti.

12. dtownknifekid

dtownknifekid

Dec 21, 2006
    My bm 210Tk activator fell out of its neck sheath while I was teaching a leadership course for scouts. It fell onto a concrete walkway and when I found it the next day the edge was completely chipped out. I dont have the means to sharpen it so until I get around to sending it to Richard J it is thoroughly out of action. Now that I think about it I cant find my CS Scimitar, CS recon 1, delica, or g10s30v Leek. Im praying that I didnt lose them on a different camping trip.

13. Helle

Helle Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 9, 2005
    I'm cursed when it comes to Spyderco knives.

Over the years I've had quite a few, now only one that I can think of.:eek:

The rest who knows.:(

14. Slidetechnik

Slidetechnik

Jul 16, 2009
    I dropped a brand new spyderco military when I was cuting a tomato in the kitchen(i just got it and needed an excuse to cut something). Mucked up the tip a little bit...wasn't such a big deal but it stung a little more since it was a brand new knife.

15. razorsdescent

razorsdescent

Jan 16, 2005
    I was messing with my Emerson k-bit when i was much younger and i was so enthralled with it that when someone came up and said something to me it startled me so much so that iactually dropped it on the concrete and the first 1/6 inch of the tip was broken off. I almost cried.

16. SteelSnob

SteelSnob

Sep 7, 2009
    Ask Charlie Mike this question :p

17. nemesis27

nemesis27

Jan 22, 2008
    I know man I was so shocked, pissed and shocked again then pissed again haha. When I asked him what he was doing he said "it's a knife, it suppose to be used", I just left lol. In all fairness when I came back later that day he did apologize and offered to buy a new one but I didnt take him up on it because he has helped start my landscaping company both monetarily and giving me jobs on the new homes he built. But I did learn to never trust anyone with my knives haha.

18. bryant R

bryant R

May 29, 2011
    lost my first knife in my grandmothers house when i fell asleep in a recliner schrade 120t year and a half ago still looking for it

19. TwinStick

TwinStick

Jan 21, 2011
    I LOVE IT when someone asks me "can i borrow (insert whatever) your knife." I say sure, just give me a deposit just in case you damage it. They always ask how much $$$. I just tell them whatever it cost me. It was priceless when my neighbor asked to borrow my truck. I said sure, just give me deposit. He asked how much, I said $50,000. He walked away & never came back. LOL

20. lupus55

lupus55

Nov 21, 2009
    About 30 years ago I had a rigid folder with brass pommels and fingernotches in the handle. I put it down on a jetty while I was chopping bait and nudged it with my boot. Wouldn't you know it of all the boards in the jetty, there was only one bloody gap wide enough to allow the knife to drop through into about 20 feet of black, sharky water, of course that damned gap was in exactly the wrong spot. Lucky for me it wasn't my Kalinga or I might have risked the midnight swim with the sharks?