Would patina be beneficial on D2 steel EDC?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by EatingSarma, Sep 12, 2020.

1. EatingSarma

EatingSarma

Jun 22, 2020
    So, I've been using Boker GoBag as EDC ever since I got it. I plan fo retire it and carry Cold Steel Mini Pendleton in 3V. But only after I finish leather sheath for it which will be just in time for autumn.

This blade is not coated, it only developed small black spots from sweaty fingerprinys I didn't remember to wipe off, but this made me think it could corrode. Cutting apple, multiple bugers and other fast foods with it did not corrode it further (it even reduced the spotting). I wash and dry it after every use on food tho.

So, question is, would patina give this uncoated blade any benefits?
    If yes - how to do it? I'm not finding anything on D2 patina om YouTube.
    Thank you in advance!

2. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    I find it pretty hard to get any kind of patina on D2 or 3V for that matter -- they both have a bit of chromium. Both will corrode eventually but not as easily as high carbon steels like 1095 etc. I just keep mine dry or wipe them down with BreakFreeCLP if I'm not going to use them for a while.

AntDog, jbmonkey and bigsurbob like this.
  3. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    d2 won't take one.

AntDog and bigsurbob like this.
  4. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Yes, I found it to help. Stick the blade in a cup of coke and it will patina up nicely in just a few minutes.

Centermass and EatingSarma like this.
  5. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    You mean the coke a cola won't/don't dissolve D2 like it do 10 penny nails, steel wool, and night crawlers?!?!

The experiment in 8th grade Science Class:
    Nine baby food jars with lids, filled 1 each:
    Tap Water + nails; Tap Water + steel wool; Tap Water + earthworm
    Pepsi + nails; Pepsi + steel wool; Pepsi + earthworm
    Coke + nails; Coke + steel wool; Coke + earthworm

(Allegedly, no slimy worms were drowned in the experiment. They was allegedly already dead.)

At the end of the two day experiment, the Tap Water and Pepsi jars contained what was put in them.
    The three jars with Coke a Cola only had the Coke a Cola. The nails, steel wool, and worm had all been dissolved.

Science Teacher's Question: "What does this tell you?"

To quote my classmate (honest, it wasn't me) the teacher called on to answer the question:
    "If you drink Coke a Cola, you won't have worms?"

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  6. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I’ve had a few hunting/camp knives in D2 and they won’t take a patina like A2, 1095, etc. it will slightly turn a little darker grey color and get a few spots, but that’s it.

genewiseman, jbmonkey and bigsurbob like this.
  7. rpttrsn

rpttrsn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2006
    After using wipe the blades with mineral oil. (food safe) Does not go bad like olive oil etc. Do not store the blade in a leather sheath for extended periods of time. You should not face any issues doing this. IMO

Jsega51 likes this.
  8. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead

Nov 6, 2017
    D2 really doesnt need it. It isnt technically stainless but it is for all intents and purposes.

EatingSarma, rpttrsn and bigsurbob like this.
  9. rpttrsn

rpttrsn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Never had any issues with D2 blades.

10. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) If you got black / brown and not grey/ whitish then I believe you might be able to force a patina with strong acid or other corrosive .

Heat helps accelerate most chemical reactions and make sure blade has oils stripped off first .

I'm not sure if there is much benefit beyond aesthetics . Some say yea and some say nay. :confused:

A nice deep patina may help hold anti-corrosives and thus help ? o_O

EatingSarma likes this.
  11. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    There is phosphoric acid in Coca Cola and some other dark sodas. That's why it is corrosive. That also makes it especially bad for tooth enamel. It's supposedly bad for bones too but I don't know how true that is relative to internal regulation.

EatingSarma likes this.
  12. EatingSarma

EatingSarma

Jun 22, 2020
    Thanks for the tip! :D
    Yeah, those spots are black, they look
    like paint but I can't wipe them off or wash them off or scrub them. And I know they weren't there when knife was new.

I think I agree with you it's pretty stainless as it is, so I'll let it be the way it is. I'm OK with whatever happens to it naturally as long as it's just black spotting.

13. EatingSarma

EatingSarma

Jun 22, 2020
    This D2 is in kydex sheath.
    But I usually just wipe it or wash and dry it before putting it back in sheath. Food grade mineral oil could help tho. Thank you.

14. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    I have a many knives in D2 and I've noticed that they won't patina , but when they start to corrode they pit. Small pock marks like acne.

EatingSarma, Pomsbz and Jsega51 like this.
  15. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    It won't patina naturally as you say though sticking them for a few mins in vinegar or coke will turn the blade grey, I had the same experience as you did which is why I fell back on the 'coke' patina. The salts in meats in particular would cause the pitting if they weren't washed off very well. Especially at the tang where they might collect inside the handle and sit there against the blade metal. It's the reason I stopped carrying my D2 knife in the end. I got fed up having to carefully wash and dry after slicing meat and especially the salami I would have with my lunch.

[​IMG]

EatingSarma likes this.
  16. Jsega51

Feb 11, 2015
    Here’s a good look at the difference. The LT Wright hunter is D2, the slipjoint is A2. Both have been used on food, outdoor camping tasks , and wild game. The D2 is more grey than when new and has a few black flecks here and there, but the A2 takes that nice patina.

[​IMG]

17. EatingSarma

EatingSarma

Jun 22, 2020
    Thank you! I will give it some time and then decide if I want to subject it to something that corrosive or not.

Expect pictures if I do!

18. BJE

BJE

Apr 12, 2006
    That’s a beautiful 20 gauge.

EatingSarma likes this.
  19. Jsega51

Feb 11, 2015
    Thank you! It’s got a magnesium receiver and a thinner wall barrel than most standard guns so it’s super lightweight. I always wish I would have kept that fixed blade. It’s a Pro Hunter which was a special run sent to select dealers to sell. I haven’t seen another one in a long time.

EatingSarma likes this.