1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Would this be a good grinder

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Kylejom, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Kylejom

Kylejom

Jan 24, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im having issues finding a 2 x 72 belt grinder anywhere but online and they seem quite expensive. I found this at a tool store in my area and thought it might work well. It is 3 x 78 belt size with a 2 hp motor. The store had belts from 30 grit to 120 grit and this is the first ive seen that size so i dont know whats available. The person i talked to working there is a bladesmith himself and he thought it would work well but i have heard that having to wide of a belt can be bad. The sander costs about 850. Would it work good?

2. El Mucho Hombre

El Mucho Hombre

Apr 16, 2013
    From personal experience, I'd suggest saving the extra money for a KMG or similar 2x72 if you're serious about making knives. I couldn't imagine not having mine with the VFD.

3. TonyRV2

TonyRV2

Feb 21, 2007
    For another $200 you could set up a Coote grinder, which is also a 2X72. I question how the belt selection is going to be with a 3X78. Seems like an odd size to me, but I'm no expert on belt sizes. This is one of the reasons most knife smiths use a 2X72 grinder because of the wide availability of different types/grits of belts.

4. Stromberg Knives

Stromberg Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 3, 2015
    That probably depends on where in the world you reside.

I live in Sweden and 50x2000 mm and 75x2000 mm belts is what I find here, and in other EU countries i buy mine from. My grinder is therefore setup for 50x2000 (2x78.6 inch).

5. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    I bet a wooden nickle he's in Canada

Where exactly ?

I'd skip that

Buy a 2z72 three wheel grinder with a toolbar

6. Kylejom

Kylejom

Jan 24, 2016
    Ya Alberta Canada. Ive never really heard of this size either so belts was my main concern. But saying that id never heard of a 2 x 72 untill i got into knifemaking either. Thanks for the advice i might look more into finding a 2 x 72 for the bit of extra money then i know i can get all the belts i need.

7. Boatbuilder

Boatbuilder

Nov 18, 2009
    Where in Alberta do you live?
    Call Rob or Marlyn at Canadian knife maker supply in Sundre Alberta. They sell 2" X 72" grinders and all knife making supplies. Great/honest people to deal with.
    403-556-1113

8. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011