Would you buy this?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Damneddesigns, Dec 10, 2019.

1. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    No. Looks like a redesign of one of those folding utility knives you get at a hardware store that you can replace the blades on. Except this lacks that one redeeming feature those have.

But that's just my opinion, and everyone has one. I'm sure if you made it, some folks would buy it.

Damneddesigns likes this.
  2. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    ZT 0470 and Spyderco Yojimbo had a baby?

3. Damneddesigns

Damneddesigns Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Apr 11, 2019
    My previous releases are Made in China. $235 for Ti frame, Ti Hardware, Marbled CF inserts and M390. While manufacturing will stay in China for now, i'm thinking of switching to S35VN to lower the price.

Workingsloth777 likes this.
  4. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip.

Jun 30, 2016
    No. If you took the blade stock down to 3mm or less I'd be on board though. 4mm is just too thick for my taste.

5. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Too rich for my blood. I don't mind paying top dollar for quality, and have many times. I also don't mind buying Chinese made knives. What I do mind is paying top dollar for Chinese knives when there are equal or better options made in the USA. When you have your knives made in a communist country that pays the labor next to nothing, that should be reflected in the price of your product. In my opinion, that is not the case here.

6. Shadowedhand

Shadowedhand

Dec 4, 2019
    I love it except for the blade shape, though I know many would enjoy it. The design overall is sleek and sharp. Not many go there but you did! I enjoy the colors and think that you have a good eye for design. It’s not too flashy but really makes a statement. Looks handy and deadly, great work!

7. Damneddesigns

Apr 11, 2019
    I feel you but I’d just like to point out that raw material like Ti probably costs the same worldwide (just a guess) and the M390 is imported to China from the US. The minute my cost reflects the political/ economic aspects you’ve mentioned, best believe it’ll be reflected in my retail pricing!

8. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    I like the design, but these days I'm not into frame-locks or liner-locks.

9. RyanSean97

RyanSean97 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2018
    I’ve yet to try a wharncliffe blade, but I think you’ve got a really nice design here man.

I think a lot more people would be down for this than most people realize. There’s all kinds of folks out there and you’d have no problem with this. It’s a clean, really attractive design that also stands out very well at the same time.

If I had anything to really “say” about it I’d ask to see what you thought about making the blade just the slightest bit narrower in width to make it more streamlined towards the tip. Basically taking the top point on the spine and moving it down that axis towards the tip as to where it’s not so high up, yet still letting it flow into the top of the handle. (That’s a nice design touch btw). But as is, I’m still a fan. It’s a standout winner I think.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  10. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013

Incorrect. Titanium alloy bar stock is a finished product, not a raw material; it just gets further processed out of a flat bar and into a value-added product. Titanium from China is a lot cheaper than the good stuff, and what's out there is generally not on the level of the stuff from Russia, Japan, the USA, etc. True, a knife isn't a jet engine part, but sometimes I wonder if cheap ti isn't the reason some ti lockbars wear faster than others, or some ti scales get badly eaten up by bearings while others do not.

11. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    I'd personally pass on it unless it was a phenomenal deal. It just doesn't fill a gap in my arsenal, and the ergos, while not bad, don't look especially impressive either. It doesn't appear to have a clear vision of its intended context of use other than the very broad-reaching "EDC" category, and while I like wharncliffes it's overall a very "samey"-looking design. I'm sure there'd be plenty of folks that would jump on it, but it's it's just not something that appeals strongly to me based on my personal selection criteria.

12. Damneddesigns

Apr 11, 2019

Thanks a ton for the positive feedback!
    If you see the closed position, the angle you’re mentioning flows into the handles, changing it would mess that up and would need some redesigning. I’ll play around with it and see if I can do what you’re suggesting without messing up the profile.

13. RyanSean97

RyanSean97 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2018
    I actually looked at that and saw that you did that and I really like that too, but I looked and I think you could still do it and leave the handle where it is, because you’d still have that drop down to the point, but it would just be shorter than it is already. In fact, I think you could even almost make it to where it connects to the point in on the handle in the closed position, making it flow together in a slightly different way, but still keeping it an even flow. In theory anyway lol but no problem man, like I said, as is it’s still an awesome looking blade. Not usually my style, I’m a huge drop point/Bowie/belly bladed guy usually, but this is unique.

14. Workingsloth777

Workingsloth777

Mar 10, 2019
    A great design for sure.... But unfortunately it seems like a knife design that just falls into line with all the other equally great designs out there.

So great design, but I would have to pass due entirely to the fact that it looks a little bit "run of the mill".

15. PWatkins

PWatkins

Oct 20, 2017
    That price is inline with what I see from WE and others for knives using those materials. It's on the high side of my price range and I find myself going with USA made knives in that bracket. However, I'm sure they would sale if you made them.
    You could always send me a prototype to check out.;)

16. Bugdoc

Bugdoc Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2016
    Hi there. I'm always interested in new designs and your's caught my eye for sure. (The blue doesn't hurt either.) Of course I'd have to know more about the steel and better yet get one in hand. There was something tugging at me however, and then it came to me: the symmetry of the blade in profile reminds me of a utility knife blade, a bit off-putting. Perhaps changing that up some would help.

17. ridnovir

ridnovir

Mar 12, 2012
    It is a pass for me.

18. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
  19. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Would switching to Taiwan be possible in your construction costs? I like the idea of s35vn.

20. Damneddesigns

Apr 11, 2019
    I’ve never heard of any OEM factories there but I’ll look into it!