1. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

Would you?

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by mendezj, Sep 4, 2020.

1. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Calm it down there bud. Sorry you can't see the irony in what you are asking. No need to get nasty. Hopefully you do eventually get home and can post pics of that D2 sebenza. No doubt there will be a line of folks offering you a pretty penny for it.

BP_ likes this.
  2. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    So you have to pay a little just to get pics? That sounds really shady and just poor business. Thanks for naming.

Sharp & Fiery, benchwarmer380 and BP_ like this.
  3. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012

Perhaps it's not unethical, but it doesn't seem like a great business plan to charge people to see what they're buying, especially for an in stock item they intend to sell. I suppose if they only intended to put it in the actual store and not online then sure. But that doesn't seem like a smart play for this type of market.

For what it's worth, theres a pretty big difference between putting up a deposit and paying for an item, which generally denotes in full. For me, they're pretty much the same boat in this situation where you're just asking for pictures but they are very different in other situations like dealing with a custom maker for a custom knife.

4. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I'm confused. When I go to that vendor's site, it is full of pictures.

In the policies section it also states, "When a customer pays for an order that item is removed from Inventory and thus unavailable to other Customers who would purchase it at that time." and "Occasionally there will be a knife listed on the site that is NOT available for return, this will be clearly noted at the bottom of the Description page and will state “Sold AS IS” or perhaps “Not Available for Return”.

I get the impression he is showing the knife he is listing. In fact if you click on a knife it has numerous pictures and descriptors for each.

OP are you saying they are just stock photos and not the exact specific knife you will be receiving? Or are you requesting certain photos that are not shown?

Trying to understand...???

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    benchwarmer380 likes this.
  5. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    @mendezj You called him a dealer... what sort of knife is this? Is it a new from the manufacturer production item? Something more difficult to acquire? Did you contact this dealer, or did he reach out to you?

6. mendezj

mendezj Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 24, 1998
    I a
    I asked for a particular knife, he responded he had two but that neither was posted on the website, but that the price was so and so, that he would send pictures after I paid the knife. I responded and he offered to send pictures if I paid a “small deposit.

Over and out. Do as you wish. Bye.

7. mendezj

Nov 24, 1998
    The maker only sells through that one dealer. There is no email or phone to contact the maker.

Listen, no big deal. I take it back. I’m not wasting any more in this matter. Thank you.

8. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Details matter. Asking a vendor to take pictures of a knife he has but has yet to list and stipulating he asked for a deposit, not requiring you buy the knife are very important to the discussion.

9. mendezj

Nov 24, 1998
    Please NOTE: I have received the pictures and I am buying the knife. I have nothing but good things to say about the vendor.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  10. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Due to the rampant cloning and fakes flooding the market, I can’t blame makers to be a bit hesitant on sharing pictures of their designs with the general public.

It is not something I would do personally though. I have always offered up pics of my work to any potential client, even if it doesn’t produce a sale.

Quiet and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  11. annr

annr

Nov 15, 2006
    Two letters: "N" "O".

12. Planterz

Planterz

Mar 26, 2004
    I always found it incomprehensibly stupid to attempt to sell knives without posting pictures. It takes far less time to post them once than say "email me for pics" then email them out to everybody who asks.

For a dealer to do this makes even less sense. And he has (or had) two?o_O That goes beyond laziness; it almost sounds like he's hoping not to sell them.

13. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I buy knives sight unseen all the time. Sometimes I even pre-order them unseen. Never been a problem.

14. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Sounds to me like the dealer just hadn't posted them up for sale yet, but was going to.

15. pholder

pholder

Feb 16, 2005
    i would tell him to piss off, if he is truly a vender then he has to sell knives, i on the other hand don't have to buy knives

16. Norcaldude

Norcaldude Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Over in the traditional sales section people are buying knives before you even finish posting the For Sale post :p

Lee D, Murphjd25, Jsega51 and 3 others like this.
  17. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Seconds!

Lee D, BilboBaggins and Norcaldude like this.
  18. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    So @mendezj , what is it? You have a thread in GB&U talking poop about a dealer but then you seem to be happy to do business with them?

What is it? Is this Good or Bad? Your capricious posting can have an impact on others. Give a little thought before you make accusations.

Don’t post without thinking, especially when it could affect others or pertains to a mythical Sebenza.

You owe some sort of resolution to this thread. I’m sure the vendor would appreciate it.

19. timberweasel

timberweasel Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 5, 2011
    OP, your first post read as though the dealer was soliciting to sell you a mystery box, which turned out to not be the case when you posted:

If the knife is a NIB production knife, I think it would be reasonable for both you and the dealer to assume the knife is mint, and if you receive it and discover a problem, the normal return/exchange rules would still apply. If the knife is custom (or advertised as a blem or factory second), I think photos are expected before purchase.

I can certainly understand why a dealer would not wish to take photos of each individual production piece for every tire-kicker looky-loo, though. Totally different scenario, IMO.

Anyway, hope it all works out.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020