1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Wow. The HI Farm Knife.

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by CRZ, Jun 25, 2019.

1. CRZ

CRZ Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Ever had a situation where you decide you want something really bad? Whether it's a concert, a car, a vacation somewhere particular, or some sort of product, sometimes you spend so much time thinking about how great this thing will be that when you finally do it or get it, the reality just doesn't match up to your expectation.

That's not the case with the Farm knife.

A few years ago, I was a regular lurker of the DOTD to see if one of these things would come up. After I missed out on a couple, and then seeing a big drought of them, I stopped logging in, stopped browsing the website. The farm knife faded a little from my big list of wants.

Recently, a discussion with a few people about knives in general came up, and then when discussing fixed blade knives I mentioned the HI blades I own, and the old desire for the farm knife flared hot once again. I logged in, checked the DOTDs, and then decided I should just email Aunty Yangdu and see what I can get.

After a few emails, I sent payment, and then a Farm knife came up on the DOTD. Thinking I'm waiting for a special order I was crestfallen, but of course that's not the way Himalayan Imports works, and Aunty had one more set aside for me, and shipped it right out.

It's not a kukhri. It's not the massive AK or M43, it's not the Ultimate fighter or anything else that evokes the standard artistry of the kamis. This is an edge that can certainly be used in a kitchen, but the weight and sweep of the blade, the terrific feel of the grip - this thing can be used in the kitchen or for general butchering. It's like a cleaver, a golok, and a bowie knife had a bastard offspring and fed it steroids. It's 5/16" of steel on the back end that sharpens to a razor on the other.

I'm sure you could use this tool as a machete for smaller brush or grasses without much issue, but it's definitely not a chopper like the HI staples. However, if you want a more multi-purpose blade, this thing is it IMO. I can't emphasize how well this thing handles given its size and weight.

Great stuff. No idea why they aren't more popular - I may end up buying more as gifts. The few friends I've shown so far all got that familiar blade lust in their eyes when they saw and handled this monster.

I'm sure those of you that have them may have differing opinions, but I'm thoroughly impressed with the farm knife, and I highly encourage the purchase! I'll add pics of mine within the next day or two, I just haven't had time to do it yet wanted to sing these praises!

2. EricTheRedBeard

EricTheRedBeard Basic Member Basic Member

May 17, 2018
    Congratulations. I know the feeling. I have to echo Pugs regarding the HI Farm Knives "I definitely have seller's remorse". I agree that they seem to be meant for processing food. I hope we see some more of them in the future. Speaking of seeing more of them... please post a couple pictures when you get a chance.

CRZ likes this.
  3. XelaXela

XelaXela

Feb 22, 2010
    Looking forward to try my biltons in the kitchen. I love it when Aunty sells some of the blades while showing them in action, kitchen work. And kudos to folks who share pics of them doing kitchen work on the forum.

EricTheRedBeard likes this.
  4. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I have 2 farms knives, and as users, I love them when camping.

CRZ likes this.
  5. Howard Wallace

Howard Wallace . Moderator

Feb 23, 1999
    George Azar likes this.
  6. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Farmcata in the kitchen! These are awesome knives!
    [​IMG]

CRZ and George Azar like this.
  7. DaFatKid

DaFatKid Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Now, that's real pretty!
    And those ribs look good too!

ndoghouse likes this.
  8. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    I've got one of the OG farm knives from years ago. I love the combination of massive weight and super fine edge. Certainly not a novice blade.

It's in my top 8 HI knives of all time.

CRZ and George Azar like this.