WTB - Koyote Alaskan

Discussion in 'Koyote Custom Knives' started by BackwoodsBummin', Apr 9, 2020.

1. BackwoodsBummin'

BackwoodsBummin'

Feb 26, 2010
    In a time long ago, when the Koyote still walked among men, I had intended to commission a large knife. The Alaskan, I think it was. But the Man disappeared into the Great Basin before that happened.

Koyotes have come and gone, but only ol' #300 remains. I never did get my hands on the big Alaskan. So if you have one collecting dust, and you might be inclined to pass it on, I would be interested. The bigger the better.

I may be interested in other patterns, too. So let me know what you have.

woodysone and C Bryant like this.
  2. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Just out of curiosity, can we see a pic of one? was it a large clip point?

BackwoodsBummin' likes this.
  3. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    IMG_0130.JPG IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0132.JPG I think I saw a couple of old pics, but not sure if it was the Alaskan. I have a Great Divide hunter in bocote, that is not for sale, but I was wondering if was close to what you are looking for? My pic is in the Koyote forum somewheres, let me see if I can get the same pic here uploaded.hope you find it. Still wondering how Koyote girl was doing too. She made a great sheath.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  4. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    My Great Divide was modified to be a saber grind from the original scandi vex. 1/8 thick and I believe 15n20 or 1084.. What did he used to use? I have always wanted a Stead knife.

5. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0204.JPG IMG_0205.JPG

rpn, chopchop and BackwoodsBummin' like this.
  6. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Just wanted to show off my Koyotes. I have another in micarta that I have to find and take a pic, the last one I got from him and had to have Koyote Girl find in his final days to finish.

7. BackwoodsBummin'

BackwoodsBummin'

Feb 26, 2010
    Your modified Great Divide is pretty similar, albeit smaller than the Alaskan/Camp Chopper.[​IMG]

Pics are getting harder to find these days. It seems folks have done a lot of housekeeping in there Flickr accounts over the last 10 years. Here's one I found from Barberfobic1992. I believe BigMike had one, also. Snow, tonym, and several other folks had smaller (7"-8") versions.

8. chopchop

chopchop

Apr 17, 2009
    cbach8tw and BackwoodsBummin' like this.
  9. BackwoodsBummin'

BackwoodsBummin'

Feb 26, 2010
    That is a beast of a Koyote! I never have understood the custom machetes, though. A Tramontina will run you $10ish, and the only real difference, I imagine, is the handle material. Of course, that sheath is a work of art.

There was a little red handled stead knife that I missed out on years ago. Never got to try one.

I did have a gorgeous natural micarta handled leuku about the same size as that maple (?) handled one in cbach's post. It was a nice piece, for sure.

chopchop likes this.
  10. chopchop

chopchop

Apr 17, 2009
    Yeah, I have to agree on the machete.

The stead knife I had for awhile was a tan micarta handle. It felt really solid in the hand.

This is my only koyote now. I got it off the exchange a couple years ago. First pic is from a trip a few years ago. I just used it a couple days ago to make fatwood shavings from a downed branch in my yard. I love the look of it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rpn and BackwoodsBummin' like this.
  11. BackwoodsBummin'

BackwoodsBummin'

Feb 26, 2010
    That is a good looking blade!

My lone remaining Koyote is similar (I think you even tried to buy it off me once)
    [​IMG]

chopchop likes this.
  12. chopchop

chopchop

Apr 17, 2009
    Yes I did :D

That’s #300 I think. It’s a beauty!

I remember seeing it posted when it first went on sale and was too slow on the trigger.

13. BackwoodsBummin'

BackwoodsBummin'

Feb 26, 2010
    Yup. At the time, that was the most expensive knife I had ever bought. I had to have it, though. Responsibilities be damned!

cbach8tw and chopchop like this.
  14. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    @BackwoodsBummin', there are two Koyote knives for sale in the individual custom section. Funny that this would come up now. They are smaller ones, a cleaver and a skinner.

15. BackwoodsBummin'

BackwoodsBummin'

Feb 26, 2010
    Thanks for the heads-up, cbach. Not my style, though.

cbach8tw likes this.
  16. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    What a nice thread...I miss these and all the great knives!

17. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    I got to find my last one from him, stuck in storage.

18. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    @chopchop, I am willing to sell or trade my older micarta 5 inch leuku, the one by the ruler. Just a thought to keep it interesting. To be honest, I got it from Northridge88 (?) here on the forums. It is well used, but I got a good edge in it after stropping, it needs a good home.