Yojumbo

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Kravmaglock, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    Interesting insights, but my understanding is that slicing and cutting are not the most effective way to use a blade for defense. My limited understanding is that piercing/stabbing is what quickly ends the threat.

Roy Batty likes this.
  2. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    If you are going to a knife fight, take a gun...

Insipid Moniker and Roy Batty like this.
  3. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    This is a topic often debated. The fact of the matter is that police records disclose that many people continue the fight after being slashed, stabbed and punctured unless it hits a vital blood vessel or stops the pump. Same with bullets. There is no sure thing...even if the incapacitation occurs relatively shortly afterward. (I am not a knife fighter nor do I train as one.)

Frankly, having been slashed once was enough for me. (But I wasn't a law enforcement officer at the time.)

Roy Batty likes this.
  4. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    I’ve heard it said that there is no such thing as a knife fighter.. because if you don’t end up in the grave, you’ll have a jail cell waiting.

5. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Y'all can sling load DEEZ NUTS Platinum Member

May 25, 2016
    That was my understanding too, and it becomes evident when you look at designs like the SOCP dagger.
    I’m no expert... but massive internal bleeding seems to be more deadly than some slashes to the skin on hands and arms... but if any knife is going to be brutal in that field it would be the yojimbo with its hollow grind wharncliffe. That’s some serious cutting power.

6. nephron

nephron Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Would like to see some real world empirical evidence, with many well qualified examples. I think the person(capability) is more important than the type of knife.

7. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    Maybe I will buy some big pumpkins this fall and fight them to the death.

Crazy Canuck likes this.
  8. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    [​IMG]

9. 731Chopper

731Chopper Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 25, 2017
    There certainly was such a thing as a knife fighter in the past but in modern times, yeah, it seems outdated and impractical. When I see some of the "experts" trained or training people in edge weapon combat, I wonder how many of them have actual experience doing it during real combat.

Still, if I were a solider going into a conflict zone, I'd probably carry some sort of fighting knife as long as it fit in my overall carry weight. But, I'm just a civilian in a mostly peaceful society so... these types of knives are just for fun.

Roy Batty likes this.
  10. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    At < $200 I’m in !

I hope they apply the jumbo theory to the Ronin as well.

11. Trvrdgr1234

Trvrdgr1234

Apr 29, 2019
    Whoa-nin

kreole likes this.
  12. VashHash

VashHash

Aug 11, 2009

It's all about targeting. Mike Janich designed this knife based on his method of targeting certain points of human anatomy. Not slashing wildly at anything that moves. Just like the great caliber debate. The most important part would be shot placement. Here it's "slice placement".
    Attacking tendons and muscle groups to disable an opponent without waiting for them to succumb to blood loss.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Evan Mattherson and Kravmaglock like this.
  13. sgt1372

sgt1372 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Then you really don't understand how to use a knife specifically designed for SD in SD because it is all about targeting vulnerable body parts and using the knife to slice/cut those body parts: think . . . carotid, brachial and femoral arteries, eyes, face, throat, lower abdomen, stomach and/or any limbs generally.

You can use a Yojimbo (or any other SD knife) to stab/pierce the body too but generally the blades used in SD knives are too short (usually only 1-3" long) to be effective in penetrating any vital organs to be effective when doing that and it's really hard (even w/a very big, long knife) to stab somebody in the heart which is protected by the ribs and sternum.

It's really messy and few people have the stomach for it BUT it's much more effective to cut a critical artery in order to win a knife fight.

Just saying . . . LOL!!! ;)

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  14. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    So you’re saying my proposed pumpkin exercises won’t qualify me as as expert?

Evan Mattherson likes this.
  15. Blues

Oct 2, 1998
    Don't sell yourself short...

[​IMG]

TTpower and Elgatodeacero like this.
  16. Blades

Blades

Oct 5, 1998
    Spyderco is making it hard to decide what knife I want next; the Yojumbo or the Manix XL.
    The Yojumbo is only 22mm longer than the Yojimbo but the blade is 23mm longer. Spyderco magic! I do like the 4 inch blade on the Yojumbo but I also like the CPM-M4 of the Manix XL. :)

17. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    I want a Super Yojumbo with a 6 inch blade.

AF likes this.
  18. V-1

V-1

Apr 14, 1999
    It looks like the Yojumbo is starting to ship to dealers now. I've already got it on preorder. Cannot wait to run it though it's paces in comparison to the original Yojimbo and Yojimbo 2.

19. Murindo

Murindo Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2010
    My two cents after studying knives and knife fighting for 65 years is that I don't wan to get in a knife fight. Michael Janich and Bram Frank know their stuff and should be respected for their training and knives. However, their goal is to incapcitate their opponent to acheive an opening for escape. The big Bowie knives and long daggers were designed and used to kill in a much different time than ours.

Evan Mattherson likes this.
  20. MattinLA

MattinLA

May 31, 2006
    I hope the Spydie hole has a larger diameter, like the Manix2 or PM2