You might have too many Busse' if.....

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Leonardo63, Oct 8, 2020.

1. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    Buy decent cheap Bourbon (Evan Williams) and expensive knives.

AntDog and tuica like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    ......... all wise and insightful answers..... :D

..... much truth in all of this.... ;)

tuica likes this.
  3. resinguy

resinguy

Feb 19, 2006
    There are mythical Sasquatch Hogs who lurk among us, unseen, unheard, but possessing massive collections.

Among the known and visible Hogs are those who can:

decorate a Christmas tree with multiple examples of a single model,
    set a 12 place dinner table with an SHBM at every plate,
    line up 27 Skeleton Wardens at a moments notice,
    create a veritable pinwheel of Game Wardens,
    not even show his collection upon the advice of his insurance agent,
    spell Busse with ASHBMs,

And so much more beyond our ken ...

tinfoil hat timmy, vkp78 and tuica like this.
  4. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Like a wise man said. “Much truth in all of this.”

There’s different types of collections. Any jackass with lots of money could buy random Bussekin, and have “more” than anybody on BF.

But most of us true collectors painstakingly create an assemblage of various models, some common, some rare, with a sense of purpose.

And we actually know the model designations, variations of them - along with a decent knowledge of Busse history. That’s a real collector. There’s always wheat and chaff in every life endeavor.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    DaKruiser and Twoody like this.
  5. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    I don’t consider myself a collector. More like a “curator”. The few I have will outlast me fo sho. My son, and his son, and his son, and his son will hopefully take good care of them. :)

tuica likes this.
  6. tuica

Jul 30, 2013
    I do use a few of them for cutting chores. But realistically, how many does a guy need for actual knife related work? Some are users, most are not. I’m not the Outdoorsman, I was 30 years ago. No reason at all to cut anything with a pristine SH1.

And, like many here, I have, and use, other brands. Gerber; Winkler; Becker; Grayman; Hinderer; Chris Reeve; Shirogorov. My main everyday carry is the Hinderer Half-Track.

7. Andy the Aussie

Jan 29, 2010
    I do not but a knife that I "wouldn't use" but literally have too many to use....so if push came to shove I could turn a group in triple digits to 10 or so without any loss of capability or regular companions.... but where is the fun in that.

The CS 3B2 that I have for sale would make the SECOND ever Busse I sold. I do like it but it is one I in good conscious would not take out and beat. If it does not sell I may just have to get some G10 added and call it a user.... ;)

tuica and Busto like this.
  8. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    The horror!

tuica likes this.
  9. tuica

Jul 30, 2013
    I just looked at that CS 3B2, Andy. For about the 739th time. If the Coronapocalpse “measures” weren’t restricting my income stream so much, I’d certainly be interested.

But I do regularly play my state’s Lottery. People do win this. Just not me. Yet. I’m a damn optimistic fellow. So please don’t install those G10’s quite yet.

lmcq784 and Leonardo63 like this.
  10. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    If your mom says to clean up your room because the collection is everywhere.

And you dont live at your mom's house.

Because you need to use one of her rooms to store em.

And it's a mess.

vkp78, evltcat, Steven65 and 2 others like this.
  11. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    You might have too many Busse' if..... you see a grail knife you have been searching for, buy it, and then realise you already have one! (or three):D

12. tuica

Jul 30, 2013
    Always interesting speculation, as well as a discussion topic with a friend of mine. Who’s also a Bussemun. Who has the top five Bussekin collections within the United States? Three categories. Sheer number. Total current value. Variety of models - including rarities.

One of my life goals is to present on BF, a photo record of my collection. When I reach a certain number of Bussekin. I spent one of my careers in the museum business, so my buying strategy somewhat follows the the idea of filling a Busse Museum with significant historical models. It’s nice to have life goals. Right?

13. Garth Reckner

Garth Reckner Moderator Moderator

Dec 13, 2004
    No such thing as too many. Although the idea of having to put on an addition to the house to store blades is getting closer to reality all the time.
    I have already decided that I am going to die penniless but my kids are gonna have some awesome toys.
    Garth

Amy-0, tuica and Leonardo63 like this.
  14. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    Yeah man, my wife has no idea what she's in store for some day. Tell ya this, it's going to be an epic yard sale.

tuica likes this.
  15. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Between Busse knives, several brands of decent folders, and some shooters, my kid could put herself through a decent college, literally. Probably. I've been thinking that I need to put together a list of everything and approximate worth in the book of letters I'm writing for her, so she knows approximately what to look to get out of them. For I KNOW that she won't keep all of it. She BETTER keep all my 'mandu's, though. Especially the SWATs.

Leonardo63 and tuica like this.
  16. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    She won't, she'll sell it to buy something shiny, or her kids will. And you won't care because you love them, also because you'll be dead or so out of it you won't know any better.
    I know, bummer man, he deliver's!

dogboye likes this.
  17. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    That's one of my biggest fears - a table full of my knives, with a sign saying something like: "Knives $5 each, 3 for $10" ;):D

vkp78, Leonardo63 and tuica like this.
  18. Andy the Aussie

Jan 29, 2010
    This is why my will is specific....and they are insured :D

Leonardo63 and tuica like this.
  19. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    That is some scary sht GK! but yeah man, we all need to make a list LOL!

Right on Andy - The trick is how to make a list and keep it somehow so it isn't found until it needs to be found.....That's a tricky one. Unfortunately, wife and I have had to deal with too many family estate situations the last couple years we're pretty good at it. Actually going through another right now. It's incredible how much work they are especially when they weren't expected :(

Luckily, I married a pretty sharp cookie ;) which is why it's such a challenge to document what needs to be done HAHAHA!

tuica likes this.
  20. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I just searched Quicken for "Busse." It pulled up 190 transactions. About fifty of those are just the $1 charges, but most entries are for more than one knife. On the other hand, it goes all the way back to a charge of $489.95 in March of 1999, so on average that's only like 9 "transactions" per year. Still, I'm pretty sure my wife would think that's too many.

Fortunately, it just gave a list of transactions and didn't total up the amounts. I don't want to know.

tuica likes this.