1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Your choice of Assault Weapon fer Bear?!?!?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Yvsa, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    With the assault weapon ban being no more what would be your choice for bear? Grizz especially?

Methinks I would want a 12 gauge assault shotgun with extended magazine loaded with these...:D :cool: :D
    They should tear the hell outta one of our little Oklahoma Black Bears that are the size of a Collie Dog!!!!

Edit:

Hmmm, I fixed it somehow.:rolleyes:
    Don't know why it did what it did.:confused:

2. Jebadiah_Smith

Jebadiah_Smith

Jul 28, 2004
    You dont need an assault rifle.

Just a friend who runs slower than you do.

3. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson

Feb 21, 2003
    Any one of these would be fine.
    1) Alexander Karelin
    2)Some crazy mini gun combo
    3)Sho'nuff The Shogun of Harlem from the movie called "The Last Dragon"
    :p :D :eek: :cool:

Attached Files:

4. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
  5. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson

Feb 21, 2003
    Oh "ammo"...well hmmmm Sho'nuff's hands would glow when he waved them around. Does that count? :p

6. mrostov

mrostov

Jun 24, 2003
    Probably a lightweight CAR-15 or an AK-74. Due to the speed and energy of the bullet, any one round will shatter it's skull, and you have 30 rounds to try and hit it in the head without a mag change. If you hit it in the body, the first round may not drop it, but I bet the 15th or the 25th will.

7. Bruce of 1

Bruce of 1

Apr 16, 2004
  8. sams

sams

Apr 21, 2001
    pretty funny videos. :D

Yvsa, I like that shotgun ammo. It gives a guy options. Don't forget about Garrett's 45/70 ammo though. It is heavy duty stuff :eek:

oh yea forgot...assault weapons.....

A Barrett .50 cal semi auto
    I'm a bit partial to the FNFAL, .308 with Trophy Core Bonded, or Swift A Frame, or Nosler partition premium bullets.

9. etp777

etp777

Aug 12, 2002
    Probalby just grab something from cabinet here, and hcoose appropriate ammo. As you said, our little Okie bears aren't much.

Brenneke Rottweil slugs for the 12ga
    Winchester slugs for the 16ga(cuz that's all I've found locally in 16ga)
    SKS with the Wolf 154gr SPs
    Mosin, either with the Barnaul 203gr SPs or the S&B 180gr SPs.

Now if I had slower person around I really didn't like, would grab mosin and start peppering bear with these little 46gr practice rounds, just enough to piss him off. >:)

Course, if I was around someone I hated that much might wonder why I'd leave 'em to bear, and not take care of 'em myself.

10. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    LAW and several friends similarly equipped. Or maybe a M-2. Hmmmm.

11. kronckew

kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    having been stationed in Kodiak, and having been stalked by a bear* there, i'd reccommend the m3a3 bradley (wi. m242 25mm chain gun) as minimum. TOW missles would be a bit overkill tho.

*- i was carrying my .300 winchester magnum rifle at the time & felt distincty underarmed, the local inuit used .22 magnums.

12. 45-70

45-70

Jul 10, 2003
    A long standing theory has been that in wooded country a .22LR is more that enough for bear.

What you do is (as you never hunt alone) shoot your partner throught the kneecaps, thereby slowing him down enough to get either a clear shot at the bears eyes, or else a chance to climb a substantial tree...

13. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    I'll take my M1A with a 20 or 30 rd mag. 308 180gr oughta do enough. I can find some specialty house- maybe Hornady's light mag. Alternate penetrators with soft or controlled expansion rounds.

munk

14. Cuttin' Craig

Cuttin' Craig

Jun 9, 2001
    Due to their inherent evil...I'd have to utilize whichever assault rifle had the longest bayonet ( now that the bayonet lugs aren't illegal anymore ) to give me the most reach! :rolleyes: :eek: :D

BUT seriously folks, either a FN/FAL or a HK-91 with the steel german 30 rd. mags.

-Craig

15. X-Head

X-Head

Nov 8, 1999
    Well, I guess I'm thinking in terms of different categories.

Money-no-object: Atchisson or HK CAWS 12 gauge fully automatic shotgun. Downside: Where am I gonna get brass 12 gauge shells? Plastic shells melt in full auto mode and gum up the action.

Just-for-kicks: chopped Barrett M-82 .50 BMG carbine with forward grip and Hydra-Shok style slugs

Almost-attainable: AR15 pistol in .50 Beowulf, on Vulcan carbon fiber receiver, with ss bull barrel

Real-life: Ithaca Roadblocker 10 gauge magnum loaded with slugs

If I have to shoot at a bear, no gun is too big.

16. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    [​IMG]

One of these. I know that it doesn't seem very sporting. But, I am seldom in a sporting mood when something is trying to have me for lunch. :D

n2s

17. Luopo

Luopo

Oct 27, 2002
    I can tell you that I've only heard of one person who has killed a charging Griz or Brown, luckily by shooting it in the nose and subsequently breaking into the brain pan, before it got to him and seriously mauled him. Others have not been so lucky even with high power rifles and shotguns with slugs. I can tell you that some have survived not being mauled by shooting the bear in the face numerous times, convincing the bear that the pain it was feeling was enough to make it turn away, even with a 9mm pistol. If a Griz or Brown charges you, unload on it's face, don't go for the kill shot, cause it'll take 6 seconds before it knows it's dead and by then it's already put you in the hospital or worse.

18. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    There are many, many, many legitmate instances where while hunting a Hunter and or the Guide kill a charging Grizzly. I assume you mean a sudden attack from a person not expecting the bear, while fishing or hiking.

The face attack seems like a good idea, but breaking the shoulder might be as good or better.

munk

19. DannyinJapan

DannyinJapan

Oct 9, 2003
    RPG?
    Hellfire?
    Claymore mine strapped to your chest?

20. KRAKEN

KRAKEN Banned by Moderators Banned

Jun 28, 2004
    bloody hell yvsa :mad: those 12 guage rounds are way dangerous ??? would they go through body armour??? :(
    I THINK THEY PROBABLY WOULD IF THEY CAN GO TROUGH A CAR.

you know i saw a documentry the other month on bullet proof glass fitted to vehicals cars and bank screens ect.
    and they demonstrated how if you held the ak47 muzzle directly against the window it would penetrate , :eek: :eek: :eek: so much for bullet proof glass.

hope the terrorists werent watching :( amazing what you can learn from documentrys. :)