1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Your choice of Assault Weapon fer Bear?!?!?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Yvsa, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    Armor is rated to stop various threat levels. My soft body armor, for instance, is level II. A google search on body armor will quickly define for you what each stops.

Heavier armor is similar, in that it will have been tested to stop up to a certain threat- steel-core .30, for instance, or Soviet 14.5mm heavy machine gun fire.

There is no "bullet proof" anything.

John

2. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    I sold my Marlin .45-70 some months ago, but I'd feel fine with my Mossberg 12 gauge, loaded w/ Brennekes. Hell, if I'd be willing to take on Cape Buffalo with it, why not a Brown?

John

3. Bobwhite

Bobwhite

Nov 30, 1999
    Holland and Holland double in .470 Nitro Express. One solid and one soft.

4. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    Well, if that's not decisive, I don't know what would be. :)

5. Bobwhite

Bobwhite

Nov 30, 1999
    Now to come up with the cash to afford such a beast. Any one loan me $75,000?

6. KRAKEN

KRAKEN Banned by Moderators Banned

Jun 28, 2004
    hi a cheaper solution would be a reasonable quality double barrel OVER UNDER SHOTGUN.

my brother inlaw uses one of these on some of the most dangerous game you can hunt in outback nsw, razorback wild boars. some of these mean brutes are 6-7 feet snout to tail, with massive tusks that can rip you to bits. wiegh in at up to 270lbs. they are big. he uses solid slugs, boy do they have stopping power. :eek: :D

Description
    Australian feral pigs have more in common with their
    Eurasian cousins than with domestic pigs. They are
    smaller, leaner and more muscular than domestic
    pigs, with well-developed shoulders and necks and
    smaller, shorter hindquarters. Their hair is sparse
    and longer and coarser than domestic pigs. Feral
    pigs also have longer, larger snouts and tusks,
    straight tails, smaller mostly pricked ears and much
    narrower backs.
    Colouring is predominantly black, buff-coloured or
    spotted black and white. Some are agouti-patterned
    (dark hair with a lighter tip). Juveniles may be
    striped. Colours vary between and within areas.
    Growth potential is similar to domestic pigs, though
    harsh environmental conditions tend to stunt
    development. The weight of an average adult female
    feral pig is roughly 50 to 60 kg, with the males
    usually weighing 80 to 100 kg. Exceptional animals
    have reached 260 kg. THATS OVER 500 POUNDS GUYS SHEESH] :eek:
    THE BIGGEST I HAVE SEEN IS 350POUNDS LOOKED MORE SIZE OF A COW :D
    Older boars (razorbacks) have massive heads and
    shoulders and a raised and prominent back bone
    which slopes steeply down to small hams and short
    hind legs. A keratinous plaque or shield up to three
    centimetres thick usually develops on their
    shoulders and flanks. This provides some protection
    from serious injury during fights with other boars.
    Some boars develop a crest or mane of stiff bristles
    extending from their neck down the middle of their
    back, which stands straight on end when the animal
    is enraged

7. samoand

samoand

Jun 8, 2004
    Is anybody going to mention SW 500 in this thread? Oh yeah, that's right: I just did.

8. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    I don't want my handgun to weigh 72 ozs unloaded. I guess it weighs only 56 empty with the chopped version, and that wouldn't be too bad. Loaded it would be much heavier, and you'd never 'plink' at something while hiking without ear muffs.

For some reason, I resist the idea of the 500. I think a big bore handgun should be able to have quicker shots, for one thing.

No question if I'm laying on the ground with a bear on top of me the big Smith would be a good choice, presuming my arm isn't pinned.

munk

9. 45-70

45-70

Jul 10, 2003
    I agree with Munk, a handgun should be just that, a hand gun.

.45Colts,

.44 Mag. (god I hate them)

I dont' hunt dangerous game, isn't much in kentucky, but I dont' think there is much on the Continent that can't be taken with a 30-06. As a matter of fact I don't think there is anything extant and native to North America that a 30-06 can't kill.

10. StmmZaum

StmmZaum

Dec 12, 2003
    I would probably go with the tank, but being British it would be a Challenger 2 for me.
    At the very least I would want a 30mm Raden cannon!

11. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    Yes, 45/70; but you forgot two calbres, maybe three:

How could you leave the Noble .41 Mag off that list?

And Ruger's new 480 is brilliant- it actually is shootable, delivering more power and diameter/weight than conventional magnums but as light to carry and the recoil is very managable.

Perhaps the 10mm deserves a place also.

munk

12. samoand

samoand

Jun 8, 2004
    I'd imagine, the 4" version could be used by Alaskan fishermen who don't fully trust bear spray :)

13. StmmZaum

StmmZaum

Dec 12, 2003
    Got a fantastic image now of a fisherman spraying himself with 'bear repellant'

14. 45-70

45-70

Jul 10, 2003
    10mm is too uncommon around here, I like things I can buy at small shops, even Walmart if I have to.

Ditto foir the .41 magnum, the Ruger might be nice, but is it so much better for the price?

15. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    It's 50 bucks more for the Casul round or the Ruger in a SuperRedhawk.
    But ammo, even components, are expensive for the Ruger.
    But the Ruger is a lot of fun to shoot. REally.

munk

16. samoand

samoand

Jun 8, 2004
    better that than, by same rational, shooting self with a .500 ( a thought for another fantastic image :) )

17. StmmZaum

StmmZaum

Dec 12, 2003
    Sorry, I was thinking of some sort of bear equivilant of insect repellant ;)

18. samoand

samoand

Jun 8, 2004
    I did get that, just extended the idea a little.

19. StmmZaum

StmmZaum

Dec 12, 2003
    Don't worry, I just had a blonde moment...

20. Jebadiah_Smith

Jebadiah_Smith

Jul 28, 2004
    My old man has a glock 10mm. He bought it for bear protection while elk hunting. I dont think it was the best choice for bear, but it does double duty as a bump in the night bedside pistol. And my uncle bought a .40 S&W :rolleyes: , which I think is a little light.

Youre right about it being hard to find, the only store that carries it around here is Williams. But I dont think thats a problem in the woods anyways, as it probally wont be used, and there arent any wal-marts out there.

Regardless, I would prefer something in .444 Marlin, or something that could be used in a revolver/leveraction combo for in the bush.

Speaking of assault rifles and bear, does anyone watch the Sopranos? Wasnt there an episode where a bear wandered into Tonys yard and Tony pulled out his AK-47 for protection?