Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jsdistin, Mar 25, 2020.
Got the German hunter in today and decided to give it a sharpening and minor clean up.
Well it didn't turn out that great because it's just not a skill I really have, but I extended the swedge.
I probably should have just found someone to do it for me, but I need the practice anyways.
It definitely ended up wider than a small Bowie Bowie of this size would have.
Thanks. That means a lot based on the work that I’ve seen you do.
Oh, wow, thank you.
I have way to many other things going on and am working my way through some projects to justify it but I was able to get some extra nice handle material and just couldn’t wait. I’ll put up a few other pics on the modified thread later.
Went from this:
Another pocket slip...
That’s impressive. The carving looks great.
I'm very rusty, but it's getting there.
Some years ago I found this Schrade Walden NY USA with no handle covers. Because it's such a nice knife in such good condition, and because it 's easy to cut handles for a barehead, I used epoxy putty. Maybe it still had its pins, that might explain it- I have a terrible time drilling the holes in the right places to receive surviving pins. So anyway, I dabbed at it with a dremel cutter to try to obscure my uneven squishing.
I'll probably go over it again with a spherical cutter. Eventually I'll like the look or I'll remove the remains and give it a nicer material.
Just need to make a guard and JB weld everything together.
I'm thinking an eye shaped guard would look pretty good.
That's pretty cool.
I think I'll look for epoxy putty next time I'm at the hardware store.
Thank you. I can see myself carrying this one soon.
Started on the wood insert for the scabbard when I got home from work.
It's all glued up and clamped in the carpenter's vise , once it's dry I'll shape it, then lacquer or paint it to protect it while I work the wet leather.
So far I'd say it's been a successful first attempt at a center seam sheath, I certainly expected it to come out much worse.
Once it dries I'll figure out a way to add some kind of stud or something, and I think I'll skive off a couple thin pieces of leather and glue them into the throat of the sheath to tighten the fit up some.
I made the stud from a small carriage bolt.
Well I didn't really like how that sheath was too fat and rattled a bit, so I made another this time all leather.
The seam is not pretty, but with this design it had to go on the front.
Got bored and used my grinder on this large Sodbuster I had laying around. Turned it into a clip point and added a pocket clip as well. The grind actually looks pretty good besides the sharpie mark on the show side.
Excuse the gunk on the blade I used it to cut open a marinated tri tip....I hang the blade off of my smoker on the off chance I don't have a blade on me....
There should be some kind of penance for that.
Yea I know...
It's a rare occasion. I don't though LOL.