Your experience with the Eco-Drive?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by sak_collector, Nov 2, 2006.

1. sak_collector

sak_collector

Jan 25, 2005
    I just received this one today as a trade, seems quite well made. This is my first Eco-Drive. Who has one, how long have you had it and what is your overall impression?
    [​IMG]

2. mycroftt

mycroftt

Nov 13, 2002
    I have a Citizen Stiletto Eco-Drive and I've worn it just about every day for around a year and a half. I like the style - gold tone band and I like a rectangular face with roman numerals - it's kind of a classic look. It's very thin so I don't smack it on walls and doorways a lot and it has the sapphire crystal so it doesn't scratch easily. I'm very satisfied with it as an EDC watch. I've never had to put it in the light to charge it - just normal usage apparently gives it enough light exposure to keep running (but keep in mind that I wear it just about every day).

3. Kohai999

Kohai999 Second Degree Cutter Platinum Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Not good.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Eng...y=COA&Language=English&ModelNumber=EW9144-58D

I bought my wife this watch (not the same model, hers has no crystals) about 6 years ago. It has been back to Citizen 2x in the last 12 months, and is still not fixed properly, specifically, will not hold a charge.

I have had much better luck with the Seiko Kinetic. YMMV, I have heard great reports on the Citizen here, I just cannot personally confirm them.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

4. tirod3

tirod3

Jun 27, 2006
    I have a titanium for eight years now. It has given superb service and all the cool toy features. It have taken it to military school, deployed to a soft duty site, but I had a Timex chrono for rough days. I certainly haven't beat it.
    There seem to be a lot of different models over the years now, so it's hard to say which is good/bad in specific detail. Mine has features I wouldn't have done, or lack, but overall its a good timepiece.

I couldn't find a backless perpetual movement in titanium I liked in Seiko at the time.

5. Bob W

Bob W

Dec 31, 2000
    Wife gave me an Eco-Drive a few years ago. I've had no problems at all, but I onely wear it occationally.

-Bob

6. glockman99

glockman99 Super Moderator Super Mod

Jun 12, 2000
    sak_collector,

I've had quite a few Citizen Eco-Drive watches (including a couple of the same one you just received...one with green GMT hand, one with red GMT hand). I never had a problem with ANY of 'em.

7. notos&w

notos&w

Jul 17, 2002
    I have a Skyhawk. It keeps decent time and the EcoDrive system is cool. HOWEVER, after about a year the clasp broke. After 2 1/2 years the crystal cracked into pieces and messed up the mechanism. I don't know why it did this - I was at the office at the time. Citizen wants more than 1/2 what I paid to repair it. I haven't decided if I'll get it fixed but I don't plan to buy another.

YMMV

8. sak_collector

sak_collector

Jan 25, 2005
    Thanks for the input. Seems for the most part that experience is good. I wanted it mainly for the gadget factor and to alternate it an my Seiko as work watches.

9. Terry M.

Terry M. Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 5, 2006
    I've had 3 Eco-drives and loved them all. Never one problem.

10. balrog

balrog

Jul 24, 2004
    I have had a SS Eco for around four years. No problems here. Use it for work at jobsites, freediving, fishing/kayaking, paintball and hiking. Good stuff.

11. UFMetalEng

UFMetalEng

Sep 4, 2006
    I've had a Skyhawk for going on 6 years now, I've worn it everyday, to work, school, diving, boating, paintballing.. basically everywhere. It keeps perfect time and I've never had to charge it. I beat it to hell and its always comes back for more. I recommend any Citizen watch.

12. Cantley

Cantley

Aug 29, 2006
    I've had my Ti Skyhawk for 1 year now. I wear it constantly. No problems, and amazingly accurate.

Guy

13. moonwilson

moonwilson

Aug 10, 2006
    I have had one of the first eco drive watches for over 10 years and it has run perfectly the entire time. A fantastic watch. I took it off maybe three times in ten years. It still runs perfectly. The only problem I ever had with it was the first time I swam with it. I didn't know that it had a screw-down bezel and it filled with water. I took it to the jeweler, he dried it out and gave it back, and it's functioned flawlessly ever since. (I just make sure the bezel is always screwed down tight). A little over a year ago I bought a Nighthawk and have been wearing it ever since. It too has run perfectly. I bought it simply because it looked cool and I was frankly a bit bored with my old watch. I still keep it though. I fully expect to wear my Nighthawk for another 10 years or so. Eco-drives are amazing watches.

14. Terry M.

Terry M. Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 5, 2006
    I have to amend my previous post: The only problem I've had with Ecos/Citizens is the exterior paint/molding/coloring. Example: on my Skyhawk the tachymeter black wording has all come off; I've got a dressier bracelet Eco that has 10k gold enamel (?) that has started to wear off on the underside by the clasp.

My only complaints with them.

15. harleyvato

harleyvato

Mar 17, 2006
    My wife bought me a stainless ecodrive, a skyhawk I believe, it has given no problems is tough and looks good imo, it has all the features I like and can be worn anywhere and keeps good time, not much more to ask from a watch

16. DB1

DB1

Jan 4, 2002
    Nice watch - I have an Asia-market Nighthawk and wear it regularly.

17. fausto nasafiaschi

fausto nasafiaschi

Aug 6, 2000
    I have a titanium one 200 m water resistant, plain military-like face with big numbers and date window at 3 (don't know the model name). I bought it beginning 99 and it works very well, couple of light scratches on the glass due to carelessness from my side (banging against metal surfaces).
    Fausto

18. Hawkbill

Hawkbill

Nov 22, 1998
    I have the same watch pictured in your post. Got it in a trade for a Spyderco Harpy in approx 2003. Runs great and has been my EDC.

19. sak_collector

sak_collector

Jan 25, 2005
    I have since gotten 2 additional Citizens, one is an Eco-Drive chronograph and the other is an automatic diver. Im pretty impressed with the quality.

20. Guntotin_fool

Guntotin_fool

Mar 14, 2006
    I have two, one a Ti case simple one that has been my EDW for most of 5 years. never stopped, still accurate to about 3 seconds a month or so, not one complaint, as a contractor it gets beat on, mud, muck, concrete, vibrations, cold, you name it, never needed anything. ]

The other was about two years old when the crystal shattered, sitting on my desk no one home. Took it to my jeweler, they sent it to citizen and It came back as new. no charge. Even though warranty was over, the Jeweler does enough business that coming back from them the fixed it free.