Your newest addition:traditionals of course!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Will Power, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Case Bengal Canoe.

IMG_5157.JPG
    IMG_5166.JPG
    IMG_5165.JPG
    IMG_5162.JPG

2. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
  3. Just Tom.

Just Tom.

Apr 24, 2019
    I promised myself I would not buy any more knives, but I saw this at the Buy-n-Large for dirt cheap and couldn’t resist. I really like to see decent quality but not overpriced goods being produced somewhere besides You Know Where. In addition, it spoke to my weakness for large single-blade knives, and being light weight will ride nicely in the right front pocket.
    [​IMG]

4. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Got this in the mail today, fresh from the exchange. These things don't seem to get much love. But I think its going to be a great work knife.

5. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    My newest addition just showed up in the mail today.
    IMG_1768.JPG IMG_1771.JPG IMG_1772.JPG

6. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    This antique seaman's knife from Tallinn, Estonia. I wonder what I should I do with it? Clean the bolsters and blade and how?

[​IMG]

7. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    Sharpen it and use it. I'd not clean it up if I were you; it'd lose the charm of an old knife.

HFinn likes this.
  8. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    At least I want to clean the residue from the price sticker and tighten + oil the pivot, after I try to flush and blow all gunk from the inside. Then sharpen.

9. mfunnell

mfunnell Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Just picked up some old knifes from a bloke here in Oz who resurrects / reconditions / repairs / revives old knives. (A passtime I can approve of but likely haven't the ability to practice.) This one has rather taken my fancy:
    [​IMG]
    He says it's a Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co. knife from who-knows-when, which he's completely rebuilt (including adding a NOS Schrade USA sheepsfoot blade to replace the broken master blade.

I do like a sheepsfoot blade, I like three-bladed knives and I rather like the bone on this one. It's a little smaller than the 34OT I've had in my pocket of late:
    [​IMG]
    (I'm pretty sure the replacement sheepsfoot was originally intended for a 34OT.)
    ..so I think this one might displace it, at least for a while.

I did a quick Google search on Hibbard &cetera and it seems they were a big hardware store in Chicago (so they're not likely the manufacturer, just the seller, perhaps with their own branding). It seems they shut down in 1962, so the knife likely has some age on it. Who knows how the knife got from there to being revived in Perth, Western Australia all these years later?!? At least I know how it got from Perth to Sydney...

...Mike

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  10. blaksdc

blaksdc

Oct 10, 2019
    Picked up this baby last summer in Sardinia, Italy.
    Olive wood handle, around 3.2 inch blade.

[​IMG]

11. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    If that sheepsfoot is a usa schrade blade it would be from something such as an 897UH, 825 or 895. The nick is on the wrong side for it to have been a 34ot blade. Do you know if it's stainless or carbon steel?

12. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    An Olsen 510? Made in Japan. It's 4 1/8" closed with cocobolo? It has better F& F and W & T than my Olsen 511 which is an original.
    Brian, @Itsmebsh Please help me with my questions and where this fits in the scheme of things. IMG_1491-1024x710.jpg

13. mfunnell

mfunnell Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2016
    It is carbon steel, not stainless, and pretty much the same size as the sheepsfoot from my 34OT. I’ll confess I didn’t even think to look at the nick :oops: - just assumed based on size. However, it would have been ‘for’ rather than ‘from’ such a knife: it was a NOS part, so there’s no donor knife involved.

...Mike

14. Marneaus

Marneaus

Mar 31, 2014
    Snagged a new AG Russell Sunfish. I hate that it’s Chinese alphabet soup steel, but I love everything else about it.

3F5E3B07-59ED-41E0-A30C-1B97422EF033.jpeg 87105302-4A0E-4D41-88D2-7858FC025BC0.jpeg 58D3CA4E-43B5-4B97-AE82-35C88D823EF8.jpeg

15. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    In the mailbox this morning.:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

16. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    Arrived in the mail today my Michael May Sheffield Barlow. I remember saying to you that I would send you a picture. Same issues that you have with yours. Disappointed like you ... But it's pretty well constructed and a very pretty knife. Rams horn scales.

IMG_1777.JPG

[​IMG]

17. cudgee

May 13, 2019
    That is a shame, beautiful looking knife, you have a good weekend.:thumbsup:

18. WHT

WHT Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2016
    I also got my Michael May in the mail today.

upload_2019-11-1_13-9-35.png

19. cudgee

May 13, 2019
  20. Bugs57

Bugs57 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    With regards with the Michael May grind issues I would just re-bevel, sharpen it and fix that problem.