1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Your recent opinion on Nick Shabazz ?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Chapp, Jan 26, 2019.

1. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    It certainly fits you by now, and while I can see it being kind of nice to be a trendsetter (as it used to be called) on the other hand you're at the same time the lightning rod when it doesn't work out. More eyes on you and the one people look at when you end up recommending something that works for YOU but nobody else. With great power comes great responsibility as they say.
    Also for some odd reason I always liked the idea of you collaborating with Regular Car Reviews in the old school style where it's just your voice and his voice. Maybe reviewing your car or even reviewing public transport in San Diego or wherever he currently resides. :D

2. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    Nick shabazz and regular car reviews? Has this happened? I would love to see that!

b00n likes this.
  3. b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    It hasn't but it should in my opinion. :D:thumbsup:

4. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    You need to begin each knife review talking in a Godfather Brando voice and say "I'm gonna show you a knife you can't refuse"
    download.jpg

5. bobobama

bobobama Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2017
    I have to give credit to Nick to come on this forum and respond, quite professionally, to all the remarks made about him, some kind and others not so kind.

Now I'm just waiting for him to review a fixed blade knife!

Grandmaster, NickShabazz and kreole like this.
  6. NickShabazz

NickShabazz Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Your wish is my command. Tomorrow morning! But don't worry, it's not gonna become a habit :)

7. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Smatchet?

willc likes this.
  8. Jmboz

Jmboz

Apr 14, 2011
    I really enjoy Nick's knife review vids. He's got an interesting perspective, especially with regard to function and quality. Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don't (and that really is ok). There are some knives I didn't buy because of his reviews, and I wouldn't say he necessarily influences all of my knife buying decisions. Although I did end up buying a Leatherman Wave instead of a Leatherman Charge TTI a few months ago based on his reviews. He just made sense and I've not regretted it since. I see Nick as a knife aficionado sharing his thoughts, opinions, and love of well made (and sometimes beautiful) cutlery. :)

9. arrowhd

arrowhd Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2011
    No problem with Nick's reviews. Always does an in depth honest review of his opinion. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't.

10. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    450 was old price. The new price is 500+ dollars slight used some hairline scratches only visible at certain light.;)

11. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    I think he's better than nutnfancy, but that's not a high hurdle.

JDRanger and willc like this.
  12. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I actually like @austonh videos where I always enjoy his size comparison.

Alsharif and austonh like this.
  13. b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    It's definitely nice to see somebody with adult male hands. ;):D

insta9ves, austonh, palonej and 3 others like this.
  14. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Evan though I don't personally know Nick, he is like an old friend.
    I have a 1 hour an 45 minute train ride to work every day( each way), and he helps me get through it.

Lapedog likes this.
  15. Lance Leon

Lance Leon Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2017
    I can relate. Maybe it's just me not having enough in-the-flesh human contact, but I have some YouTubers and podcasters whom I feel are like friends who don't know me. Nick's one of them. The videos/podcasts he and others have made have helped me get through some rough patches.

orangejoe35 likes this.
  16. b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    I agree with what said above. Nick certainly seems like the kind of person one can disagree with on many levels but still have a cordial discussion over it. It seems like something that is becoming out of style, where it's more about who is the loudest than who has the most reasonable argument. And of course the old art of ignoring things one doesn't like. (There are a few exceptions where everybody should get loud and not ignore it but those aren't what I mean of course.)

17. bost1918

bost1918 Basic Member Basic Member

May 10, 2019
    I truly enjoy his videos, even though I often do not agree with his reviews. It is pretty easy to set aside his opinion and glean useful facts from his reviews. They are thorough, and after watching I know what the knives have to offer. Then I make my own decision on whether to add it to my collection.

slyraven and Banter 247 like this.
  18. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    I'm guessing that's just how he learned. I've seen other reviewers instinctively throw a little wrist. I feel like all flipper-tab knives should open by finger action alone. All of the ones I have now do. I've owned knives of various mechanisms that required wrist action. I'm glad that's in the distant past.

Banter 247 and Alsharif like this.
  19. Mark Forrest

Mark Forrest

Sep 2, 2018
    I like nicks vids. He makes it look easier than it is. He does a good job. He moves along at a quick pace. Never boring and often very funny. I love his voice.

aboynamedsue likes this.