Your Traditional Knife of 2020

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Now that's my kind of bike!

dantzk8 and Jack Black like this.
  2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2018
    I don't know if I'd call it exceptional, but certainly a nice specimin. It's a Schatt and Morgan #54 Whittler:

[​IMG]

3. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    You presented an awesome knife as well Harry. That stag is awesome and it’s such a cool old knife. Everything is good here, just plugging along through work and hunting season! Hope you’re doing good bud!

@Jack Black I always enjoy this thread and thanks for the comments! Hope your back gets better!

Jack Black and Old Engineer like this.
  4. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm sure your father would be pleased that you are carrying that knife... I'm certain this Christmas will be hard, but what seems to help is to have a "happy memory party" to reminisce about all the funny things he did and said...
    The pain of loss will get easier, gradually... my dad "graduated" about 7 years ago, and while it still hits me pretty hard at times, those times are fewer than they used to be. Just writing this makes right now one of "those times".... carry the knife with happy memories..

5. JohnJorgen

JohnJorgen Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 29, 2020
    Thank you for the kind words. Christmas is sure gonna be harder. Was also harder to write that message than I thought it would be.

I hope you think of your old man with fond memories also. Happy holidays from Denmark.

6. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    2020 Bladeforums Knife Rams Horn gets the nod for many reasons:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

7. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks a lot my friend :) :thumbsup:

Jsega51 likes this.
  8. Bastler

Bastler Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2020
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

9. JohnJorgen

Oct 29, 2020
    Thank you very much sir.

Bastler likes this.
  10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    That's very sad, I'm sorry for your loss :( Congratulations though, on your own impending fatherhood, and I hope that that all goes well for you and your good lady :thumbsup:

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  11. JohnJorgen

Oct 29, 2020
    Thank you. It has definitely been a rough year, for everybody, everywhere. I hope ‘21 brings more joy (and knives, let’s be honest) in the world. Happy holidays from Denmark

12. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    It has, but it sounds like you've had it worst than most my friend :( Wishing you a brighter and happier 2021 :) :thumbsup:

Prester John, JonMcD and JohnJorgen like this.
  13. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    This year would have been a much harder choice for me if it hadn’t been for a lucky score. I finally found a knife I’ve been hunting for almost three years. It isn’t anything spectacular, but it speaks to me.
    A19EE98C-7F49-47BB-BC6C-CE2703359B7D.jpeg

Onearmbladenut, AnW, GE Jr and 27 others like this.
  14. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Just a week ago I was wondering when Jack Black would start this thread. Usually I have to think about it and narrow it down - not so this year. Back in early September I stopped by a local gun show, mostly to look for knives but just to experience the camaraderie, I haven’t been to a gun show in a long time. I met a fellow selling mostly moderns, but he had a few bayonets on display too. I looked them over and we talked a bit, when I told him what I really liked was pocketknives he invited me in to his booth and let me sit in front of a tool chest and pull out drawers and plunder through a collection he had purchased. I bought two Case pocketknives from the early 1980’s from him, patterns that I didn’t already have. One, a 1983 built 6308 really captured my attention, it was small at 3-3/8” OAL (just in my preference zone), had a decent size clip main, and is well made with great walk & talk and fit & finish. It has been my number one carry since the day I bought it - pushing my medium stockman assortment out on a regular basis. If the small clip was a coping blade it may even be the perfect knife! Here it is in an over-used photo. OH
    [​IMG]

15. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    Lovely knife Harry. The man who made that knife was paid a pittance, but the skill he possessed was obvious and undeniable. I can't imagine there being more than a half-dozen spring knife makers alive today who are able and willing to build a knife that follows the contours of an antler like that.

CelloDan and Old Engineer like this.
  16. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    For me this was a pretty easy decision- Albers in Mammoth:
    BB15DD63-D98E-4957-ADC8-4C9B473A5721.jpeg

17. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I’ve only really got into traditionals late last year and this year, and I’ve had a fair share pass through my hands in that short time, but without a doubt my favorite knife of the year is absolutely the 74 Mustang. Everything about it just appeals to me. It’s slim, it’s sleek, beautifully done burlap micarta covers, the perfect walk and talk, and my favorite blade shape, a drop point. It’s been used and well loved, and will be in my collection for the rest of my lifetime. A simple and elegant pocket knife. Well done! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Great post my friend, and I’m sorry for your loss. Will be my first Christmas without my dad to, I know all to well what you are going through. Going to be a weird one that’s for sure.

JohnJorgen likes this.
  19. JohnJorgen

Oct 29, 2020
    Thank you, I am very sorry for your loss too. Weird thing is, that I feel a stronger connection to my family now than before the accident, I hope you feel the same way, it’s a big comfort.
    I wish the best for you and your family this Christmas and the coming year.

Murphjd25 likes this.
  20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Looks pretty good to me Joshua :) :thumbsup:

Great story my friend (Oh, to go to a gun show!) :) A very nice knife too :thumbsup:

Very impressive Ernie :) :thumbsup:

That looks like a great knife :) :thumbsup:

Sorry for your loss :( :thumbsup:

I noticed nobody has mentioned the giveaway, and can think of at least 3 reasons:

1) "Of course 'I'm in' dummy!" o_O

2) "We don't need no steenkin' patch!" o_O

3) Nobody read that far down my post :rolleyes:

So what I propose is throwing everyone's name in the hat. If you really don't want to enter, please let me know. I'm sure we'll get there in the end ;) :thumbsup:

Grateful, JTB_5, Murphjd25 and 4 others like this.