Yvsa- anyone know him or can help?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Yvsa's Grandson, Aug 29, 2016.

1. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    What is the overall length and blade thickness (at the spine)?

2. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Yep! I have to agree! Bhaktas original ones were the best in my opinion. They had a bit of recurve in the blade as well which I really liked a lot and fit my hands perfectly. It is still my favorite EDC and I doubt anything will ever replace it. I have some close ones but Mr B you did a good service to the AKB by a long shot! Thank you sir for that! They are definitely special. Designs like yours and Yvsa's are what makes HI great! Kinda makes ya feel like if I had a good idea I could have one made myself. Uhhh. That aint happend and prolly wont but if something comes to mind I feel good that Ms Yangdu would consider it! Wont get that from any other knife company! 1974:eek: Dang! I was just in high school!

3. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    I certainly don't fit in the same category as Yvsa. Not on my best day.

Made me feel warm and fuzzy you writin that but I'll never be up to that standard.

4. Yvsa's Grandson

Yvsa's Grandson

Aug 29, 2016
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Here are basic measurements. I found someone to 3D print it. Should be printed next week.

5. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    3D printing is some amazing stuff! Awl tips dont break off when shipping 3D files :) Kamis dont work off 3D files but we certainly do. Thats a new one for them i bet. Id love to see their faces when they get a printed copy of the knife to duplicate by hand and memory. They would then hang a pattern on their walls for future reference and who knows what they would think of us westerners that spent a significant chunk of our lives to come up with something like this technology to later be translated back to hand hammered steel. You just gotta love it and i think about what it takes to get the product from "A" to "Z". Dont get me wrong. I would love it if you could digitize your grandpa's designs and put them in an HI digital library! Im just thinking that HI likely has never had a 3D print of a knife to work off of and this is probably a first. Interesting to see how this may go!

6. kronckew

kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    there are 3d printers that use alloy steel, titanium, etc, i wonder, how much it would cost to 3d print a YCS?

[video=youtube;yKnlmfuMSgo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKnlmfuMSgo[/video]

7. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    Warm welcome to the blade forum

8. snowwolf

snowwolf Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Drop dead gorgeous and very very special... Indeed!!!!

There's two schools of thoughts for this one. A) Make it shine and look like new again, use it and give it another life. Or B) Just do the minimum to slowdown the corrosion and preserve it as is with all its history and previous life marks.

It's yours now and very precious. Think of what Yvsa would do with it.

9. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Some clues about that might be found in this thread:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/657908-Lots-of-thanks-to-Yvsa!

10. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
  11. Big Bob

Big Bob

Oct 13, 1999
    Scara, I remember when that happened. IIRC, the knife that UB posted as a joke was actually a knife that had been made for a previous customer.

I also want to offer my welcome to Yvsa's grandson.

12. beoram

beoram

Nov 27, 2001
    Welcome, Yvsa's grandson. I used to interact with Yvsa a good bit on the forums back in the early 2000s.

13. Cobalt

Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
    Although I never met Yvsa, Bill, myself, Rusty, Cliff and Yvsa use to have some incredibly fun times on the forum in the early 2000's time frame. I do remember he was a big fan of clip point bowie styles. We use to boom on this forum back in those days. Lots of fun. I sometimes miss that time.

14. Cobalt

Cobalt

Dec 23, 1998
  15. Bigbore577

Bigbore577

Jun 15, 2006
  16. Shavru

Shavru

Feb 20, 2014

That handle looks like it would be so comfortable it would be more natural to hold the knife than to have an empty hand. Love that you found this place where so much of your grandfather's comments and thoughts are shared throughout the threads. Hope you find much here to remember him with.

17. Sayoc01

Sayoc01

Nov 19, 2009
    Your Grandfather was a "friend",& that says quite a bit! Look around his knives & you will find something special...you will find a large HI pocketknife! I think HI only made one,LONG AGO & I bought it.I gave it to your Grandpa as a gift.I wish I had kept his response,I thought I was going to have to fly out & make him keep it. He would do for others ,but he had a difficult time believing he was blessed enough to recieve gifts .He was a very humble man .However,he did have a timper!LOL!
    I would call & set him off on purpose.He swore "payback".I would laugh & hang up.There were a number of us that were real close.That time has come an gone.
    Not a bad thing,it's just life.
    THE DUCK!

18. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    [​IMG]

Here's some more information about that pocketknife made by Bura that made its way to Yvsa:

19. Kismet

Kismet Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Yvsa was a gift in my life.

Occasionally, we still talk to each other.

:)

20. stwm

stwm

May 6, 2016
    Back to the top, excellent thread.