1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Zebrawood?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by AR_Freak, Jun 3, 2010.

1. AR_Freak

AR_Freak

Nov 13, 2005
    Hi all,

I've been looking into different woods for hwak handles and I saw that zebrawood is a bit "harder" than maple.. Would anyone have any thoughts on it's suitability for a hawk handle?
    Too hard perhaps?

Thanks in advance

2. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I have used it for some scales on a hawk but never for a full handle.
    Should work but a bit more expensive.

Attached Files:

3. AR_Freak

AR_Freak

Nov 13, 2005
    Thanks Dusty One

4. cherokee tj

cherokee tj

Aug 13, 2008
    I have used zebrawood, cocabola and rosewood; they all split easily but are impossible to break longways, they are also really heavy.

5. Bob Eames

Bob Eames

Oct 30, 2009
    I have used Zebrawood for duck calls for a while now. It's very open grained, and it will split easily from the endgrain. It also has a smell that is not the most pleasant (very close to a dirty diaper) when it's cut or power sanded.

If you're looking for something out of the norm that will make a great handle, I'd mabey suggest Persimmon or Osage Orange. Both are hard a rock and will take a ton of abuse well. You can find either fairly easily in 12" to 18" lengths.

Good luck,

Bob

6. AR_Freak

AR_Freak

Nov 13, 2005
    Thanks to all for the feedabck and suggestions. I appreciate it!