Zero Tolerance might be the best thing to ever happen to knives.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Comeuppance, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Yes, there's certainly some transition, but it generally happens after a design element has proven popular. These days almost every ZT design is sure to be a hit, because it's a production version of a knife that's already a huge hit. It's a pretty great business strategy, but it sure doesn't offer me anything I haven't seen before and that's part of why I continue to buy knives. To see unique mechanisms and design innovations. That's a big part of the reason ZT just doesn't do it for me.

2. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Wow, lots of arguing here. I happen to love the new ZT designs, but even if I didn't, I see no need to knock ZT or any other maker. The more knives out there the better as far as I'm concerned. I feel pretty lucky to be living in a time when there has been so much recent advancement in knife technology (steel, designs, etc.) and for most of us, this is a fun hobby. Just have fun with it.

3. 9blades

9blades

Dec 29, 2012
    This is a great reply, I agree completely. :)

4. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I own a few ZTs, but they don't really float my boat. To me, they are just to big and blingy (0561), too blocky (0350) or too dang heavy (0300). So I can't jump on the bandwagon that they are the greatest thing ever. But picking what you like and don't like is part of the fun.

5. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    Zero Tolerance might be the best thing to ever happen to knives.
    Hyperbole.

6. Have you looked at the 801, 566, and the new 562?

7. Wolverine666

Wolverine666 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Same here. That is the only thing keeping me from purchasing more ZT's.

The 0550 is fantastic. But I wish they'd make more non-flippers.

8. 0620?

9. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2012
    And to think people were saying that Ken Onion leaving was going to hurt Kershaw and ZT . I didn't like the older ZT with there over the top recurve blades but I'm loving what they are coming out with .

10. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Arguing about it is at least half the fun! :D

11. northend816

northend816

Aug 25, 2012
    Yep I agree.....ZT is the reason I got into knife collecting

12. CrialJLA

CrialJLA

Dec 17, 2008
    I wish ZT would put out sub 3.25" knives. I'd love them to make a 3" Hinderer.

13. ToddM

ToddM

Oct 2, 1998
    I think part of it as well is they are new and cutting their notch into the market, where BM/Spyderco etc. have been big dogs for years and years. ZT is trying to carve out their chunk of the pie so it's not surprising they are really going after it and since they don't have that many designs it's more likely they are going to come up with new stuff than say a BM/Spyderco that has dozens already in their lineup.

That said at Shot this year you could tell how much more impressed people were at the ZT booth compared to any of the others. I think at the other booths it was more "oh that's nice" etc. but at ZT people were super excited for the new stuff.

14. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2012
    ZT needs to come up with a small knife my Techno need some rest .

15. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    How was it aimed at bugoutbill when I responding to something Rev said?

16. ibute21

ibute21 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 26, 2010
    KVT was developed for the Tilt, no ZTs. Speedsafe was developed by Ken Onion. The composite blades came from existing technology and was introduced by KAI to give the user a high end cutting edge that would be cost prohibitive in a complete blade. I don't hate ZT or KAI at all. I owned a couple of them. They are just filling a niche of high end collaborations. I'll stick with my Emersons for now, but the Emerson/ZT collaboration has my interest.

17. Helderberg

Helderberg

Dec 8, 2013
    I like the quality of a ZT but can not warm up to the liner/frame style lock. That lock and the flipper blade are the reasons I do not own one. They are a fine tool
    made to high standards but just not my cup of tea.

18. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary

Jan 12, 2013
    I used to think linerlocks weren't safe and that framelocks made the knife look unfinished. My Spyderco Gayle Bradley broke me of the linerlock delusion, and my first 0561 cured me of the framelock delusion. I prefer framelocks these days, and I also really like flippers. So, ZT kinda really does it for me most of the time.

19. BITEME

BITEME Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Totally agree zt/kershaw the best in the business,cs great,warranty great,knives great...keep it up KAI .

20. drichardson67

drichardson67

May 13, 2012
    My thoughts pretty much exactly. I love flippers as the flipper doubles as a finger guard--a nice feature given how wet my climate is. And framelocks are simple, functional, and seem easier to clean and keep clean. :thumbup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.