1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Zimbabwe Trip Knife recommendations?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Derek the Destroyer, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Derek the Destroyer

Derek the Destroyer

Jun 12, 2011
  2. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    I was spot on, didn't even think of the Springfield, I was thinking of the motor. Had a couple pickups with the 300 six in them and I just loved em. My son still has one. If I could drive a stick I'd have one myself, but that damn clutch just gives me fits, having to work them by hand.

My favorite figure eight car at our local track was the 6=8. I think it was a 57 ford with the 300, running against 383's and big block chevys and fords and he won a lot. Lots of bottom end in those things.

3. 300Six

300Six

Aug 29, 2013
    I enjoyed this discussion folks and trust all of us went away a little bit wiser and a little bit more cautious. And maybe now you don't have to cough up quite so much money to impress the natives with a 'bonzo' knife.
    Cheers!
    And make sure to sleep under netting to keep malaria and Tsetse flies away.

4. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    I think Bend is about 3 or 4 hour drive from Portland though. That might not be too convenient. Beautiful country down there. The Mount Hood area. Lots of places to check out.

I'm not fond of downtown Portland, just too many buildings, too much traffic, and roads are goofy to me. I was lost there for over an hour on the way to Reno this summer. Got into one of those darn must exit lanes on the freeway and then next thing I know I'm lost.

5. numbersman

numbersman

Nov 28, 2010
    I second the idea of knives for trade and / or gifts. Maybe a couple of Moras, or Opinels? Economic conditions there are pretty tough, and it probably wouldn't take much to give yourself a reputation as a good guy. Of course if it all goes haywire and you get kidnapped for your trade knives, I'm gonna deny I ever said that!

6. verpra

verpra

Jul 30, 2013
    Bad bad idea carrying an expensive Khuk with you unless you don't mind losing it. Carry some cheap(er) trade/gift knives and a solid SAK/multitool. Khuks will put you in the kinda limelight you would rather avoid. And since you are gonna be way out there, no knife is gonna save ya from the fauna. Unless you be this dude:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAm4fmrh2b4

7. Jens Schuetz

Jens Schuetz

Jun 24, 2013
    A funny thing and somewhat related.

Once we were in India and I had a Seal Pup SOG with me. (it has the biggest blade length allowed in Germany, were we went later) Its a good knife for food preparation for the kids. Cutting Pomegranate and Guavas etc.
    Anyways when I were at an Indian airport to fly to Germany they suddenly called my name out at. I went to the counter and some men picked me up and we walked to a room at the most far away corner at the airport. There was something in my checked in luggage (not carry on) which concerned them. The whole time I couldn't figure out what the actual problem was. The knife is legal everywhere we went and its not in carry on, even if its not legal it should only concern the country we enter and not the one we are leaving. How can the knife be a problem when not too long ago I took two Katanas to Germany without any issues etc.
    Anyways another guy who was waiting for me looked all serious and asked me what I have in my suitcases. So I listed a bunch of things which I thought could be the culprit (babyfood[liquids], multitool, Seal Pup] but he didn't seem satisfied. Then he asked me to open my suitcase and he stepped back a lot. Wow. Did they think I have some bomb in there? Did somebody place something in my bag? :eek: So the bag was open, nothing happened and he went through my stuff to find ammunition as he told me was visible on the X-ray. Of course there wasn't any. It turned out that the screwdriver bits of my leatherman multitool which were neatly in a row in a plastic cover looked to him like a magazine of pistol ammo. (He must have imagined a very tiny pistol where these would fit) By that time the head of airport security came and got angry at this guy and questioned his eyesight and intelligence. I was allowed to walk all the way back to wife and kids who looked a bit worried. The airline was so nice to hold the plane for me. I got some not so nice looks from the other passengers who had to wait too because of my tiny adventure.
    From then on I always have my multi tool "ammo" loosely in a zip lock bag when travelling by plane...

8. greenwoods

greenwoods

Sep 2, 2006
    Very good stuff all around.
    Funny story, Jens.

I'd like to have a big blade everywhere I go as well. Sometimes it's all sharpened stick though...lol
    Local souvenirs are very cool too. A machete from every AO I says!
    I bring a few Lady Liberty's and a few Niagara Falls sno-globes to give away when I travel.

Mark

9. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Even with that guy, I'd still put my money on the charging rhino, or the bull elephant with 10' tusks, or some of the ambush predators that get you before you even see them.

10. Derek the Destroyer

Derek the Destroyer

Jun 12, 2011
    Ok so maybe it was a little further, but still, I'd say its worth the drive. Crater Lake too! Its really really blue! Last time I was in Portland, I had just spent over a week in the wilds and I looked like a local. O man that Deschutes Brewery was amazing. Delicious beer and porkbelly cheeseburger!

11. Derek the Destroyer

Derek the Destroyer

Jun 12, 2011
    Honestly, I'd be more afraid of the small venomous animals that could get into my bed at night like vipers, scorpions, n spiders. Check out this clip. These guys have nerves of steel.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBpu4DAvwI8

12. verpra

verpra

Jul 30, 2013
    You are right. We in North America are blessed. Not too many venomous snakes up north and only predators be bears and wolves. My cousin in Australia says in the Bush almost everything down there is venomous. African jungles are also on a whole different level. On the lighter side, bring back couple black mambas while you are at it :)

13. Jens Schuetz

Jens Schuetz

Jun 24, 2013
    Thanks again. Porkbelly Cheeseburger sounds interesting :)

14. Derek the Destroyer

Derek the Destroyer

Jun 12, 2011
    I just baught a few moras (The classic #1 and the companion heavy duty) for like $25 total. I have never used one but if they pan out then I guess I am going to take a few of them to the bush with me. One to use and a handful to trade. I wish I had a karda with a 3-4" blade so that I could compare though. I would also love to try a Bilton with a 4 1/2 inch handle... I saw a friend's Bilton and the handle was like for a baby hand. Has anyone used a Bilton with a slightly larger handle? The one I saw had like a 3" or so handle.