1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

zulus and natives!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by grunch, Sep 25, 2020.

1. grunch

grunch Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 14, 2013
    I am sitting in a custom maker's book right now and am struggling to decide whether to stick with my original plan for a Zulu spear or see if I can switch to a Native. I could really use some photo inspiration of these two gorgeous patterns to help sway me. Which shape do you prefer? I love the simple silhouette of a nice Zulu, but the tip on a Native is such a useful tool...

Snodgrass likes this.
  2. Snodgrass

Snodgrass

Feb 7, 2016
    [​IMG]

Here's my Booby Toole Zulu in crosscut micarta(Bobby's picture). I cannot think of a more desirable overall shape for a knife.

3. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I don't have any natives but here some zulus, both production and custom. IMG_3774~2.JPG

miso2, Chui, Dr-Mabuse and 5 others like this.
  4. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    Depends on the maker, I’ve got a Reese Bose Zulu due sometime. I like the pattern.

5. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    Toole's interpretation of a Zulu looks more like a spearpoint than anything else.

6. grunch

Mar 14, 2013
    Well heck. Bobby Toole is the maker whose book I am sitting in now!! It must be a sign! That's a gorgeous knife.

Pogonasong likes this.
  7. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    What is a native?? Can someone post some pictures??

8. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Do you prefer Bobby's spear point style of Zulu over the drop point style? If so, I would say go for the Zulu. If not, I would say go Native.

grunch likes this.
  9. grunch

Mar 14, 2013
    I love a good spear. I was lucky enough to grab one of the Peña X-series slipjoint spearpoints this summer, which is why I was starting to think Bobby's spear-point Zulu might be redundant...

10. LastRodeo

Nov 2, 2013
    waynorth likes this.
  11. kamagong

kamagong Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 13, 2001
    Isn't the Native Jared Oeser's pattern? Me likey. Grab one of those.

12. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks for the link!! That native pattern would make a fine EDC, I'd guess!! Some look like a slightly curved Lambfoot or Sheepfoot!

13. LastRodeo

Nov 2, 2013
    I think Collector Knives 'Otnat' is a Native, at least it is to my eye.

waynorth likes this.
  14. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Zulu.....
    [​IMG]
    Native (American).....
    Hard choice, both would be a formidable foe or an honorable loyal friend,
    Then again I could be confused with the question at hand....

Chui, not2sharp, JohnDF and 3 others like this.
  15. Snodgrass

Snodgrass

Feb 7, 2016
    Thanks! I absolutely love it. So much so, I might get another with wood or bone. He made this thing so quickly! We were talking back and forth over a couple weeks about the design and materials. Once we finalize the design, it was ready in less than a week. I almost feel like he was working on it as we were chatting and working out the details. It's the first custom that I ordered and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

16. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    Bobby builds a very fine knife. Very reasonably priced.

Snodgrass likes this.
  17. Snodgrass

Snodgrass

Feb 7, 2016
    I paid a similar amount for my Esky Zulu around the same time. I actually ordered from Bobby because I had given up on ever finding an Esky ... then about a week after reaching out to Bobby, I was offered one by someone that I was buying something else off of.

grunch likes this.
  18. grunch

Mar 14, 2013
    Here's one of Bobby's natives in natural micarta...
    [​IMG]

wardcleaver, JohnDF and redsparrow like this.
  19. Chui

Chui Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 10, 2012
    .......the more I use my Native, the more I love it - both visually and practically.

Will post pics tomorrow.........time to break out the Armagnac and watch some tv for me

20. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    The Bobby is a spear point. I'm sure he can do a zulu. I've always thought I would get a Z if I ever commissioned a traditional.